YOUWIN (YOUTH ENTERPRISE WITH INNOVATION IN NIGERIA) 2014 4TH EDITION – APPLY NOW!
“Unemployment among our youth is one of our biggest challenges. The time has come to create jobs (and) lay a new foundation for Nigeria’s economic growth” – President Goodluck Jonathan
What Is YouWiN!?
WHAT IS YOUWIN!?
The Youth Enterprise with Innovation in Nigeria (You WiN!) Programme is a collaboration of the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Communication Technology (CT), the Ministry of Youth Development and the Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development that will launch an annual Business Plan Competition (BPC) for aspiring young entrepreneurs in Nigeria, in line with the Federal Government’s drive to create more jobs for Nigerians. The programme will be implemented in partnership with Nigeria’s private sector, who will be requested to provide funding support.
GOAL OF THE PROGRAMME
The main objective of the Youth Enterprise with Innovation in Nigeria (YouWiN!) Programme is to generate jobs by encouraging and supporting aspiring entrepreneurial youth in Nigeria to develop and execute business ideas that will lead to job creation. The programme will provide aspiring youth with a platform to show case their business acumen, skills and aspirations to business leaders, investors and mentors in Nigeria.
SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME:
- Attract ideas and innovations from young entrepreneurial aspirants from Universities, Polytechnics, Technical colleges, and other post-Secondary institutions in Nigeria;
- Provide a one time Equity grant for 1,200 selected aspiring entrepreneurs to start or expand their business concepts and mitigate start up risks;
- Generate 80,000 to 110,000 new jobs for currently unemployed Nigerian youth over the three years during which the three cycles will be implemented;
- Provide business training for up to 6,000 aspiring youth entrepreneurs spread across all geo-political zones in Nigeria;
- Encourage expansion, specialization and spin-offs of existing businesses in Nigeria; and,
- Enable young entrepreneurs to access a wide business professional network and improve their visibility.
- YouWiN! is an equity contribution to your business. It is therefore NOT A LOAN but a grant.
- Award recipients will be paid according to the needs of the business and specific mile-stones stated in the business plan.
- Award recipients must be registered with CAC before disbursment of funds even though they do not need to be registered to apply. YouWin! will support the registration process.
- Award recipients will opperate accounts using their registered companies with any of the participating commercial banks prior to disbursment.
- Award recipients must sign a grant agreement with the managers of YouWiN!before disbursment of funds.
I am Anyanyo Ozioma Grace, the Director of Favourble Standard Concept, and the Producer of Recreziontv show which runs Mondays 3.30pm on Silverbird Television. I started business after my youth service – 2010. My programme was on air but was not gaining viewership, because of financial constraint, which hindered my ability of acquiring enough airtime. Thank God for YouWiN! that came up and I emerged a winner. With YouWiN! funds, I was able to air several of my programmes on Television stations across the country, which in turn attracted viewers and advertisers to my business.
Presently, my staff strength is thirteen and counting as my business continues to grow daily. I have also been able to become a disciplined Entrepreneur aimed at achieving goals and success. YouWiN! has really made my dream as a seasoned producer come true and also impacted positively in the lives of several youths.
The YouWiN! Program made my dream come true FASTER.
I am grateful to God and to the Federal Government for this life-changing initiative. Right from the initial business plan competition and the well-structured business training/clinics organized, I learned so much. Most of these things would have taken years and money to learn, but it was given to us free. Through the competition, I began to see business and job creation in a different light. I also appreciated the dynamics of entrepreneurship and profitably building a business from scratch.
I have always nursed the dream to change the landscape of private dental practice and the healthcare industry in Nigeria; I always knew things could be done better. This guided me in coming up with a winning business plan to start up a one-stop dental center (dental products/accessories and dental clinic/services), with a future plan to expand to major cities in Nigeria and the Sub-Saharan region. This innovation is bound to be Nigeria’s 1st version of Corporate Dentistry in the Healthcare industry. It was going to cost money, but it could be done.
The boot camps organized by the School for Startups were extraordinary and helped me see more clearly the potential pitfalls and how to overcome the challenges in running a business of this magnitude. The support and mentorship program put in place also made the YouWiN! program a complete and all-round initiative for startups and existing businesses.
Thanks to the YouWiN! Grant, a dream that could have taken years of savings and loans (with interest) was made a reality just within one year. With the Grant award, I have been able to start up our pilot center comprising of a fully equipped, standard and modern dental clinic with competent/qualified staff delivering excellent services in line with global standards. Through this, I have been able to provide employment for several young people and potential for more in future.
The Grant made my dream come true faster than I expected and it has formed a foundation upon which I can build my business and vision for a unique innovation in corporate dentistry, not only in Nigeria but globally.
See more updates from:
- Learn Web and Android Programming: Google/Udacity Africa Scholarship Program 2018 - 1 day ago
- Study in Germany: 2018 100% Bucerius Global Scholarships for International Students - 1 day ago
- Apply for the 2019 Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation in Sub-Saharan Africa - 1 day ago
- Study in UK: 2018 Developing Solutions Masters Scholarships for African and Commonwealth Countries - 2 days ago
- Study in UK: 2018 Bangor University Merit Scholarships for International Students - 2 days ago
- Study in UK: 2018 Bangor University Commonwealth Shared Scholarships for African Students - 2 days ago
- Study In Germany: 2018 University of Bonn ZEF’s Doctoral Scholarship Programme - 2 days ago