UNICAL 2015/2016 Postgraduate Application Form Details
About University of Calabar (UNICAL) Vision of the University Attainment and maintenance of the highest form of excellence in teaching, research and service, thereby becoming a leading light in Nigeria, the Continent and the world of excellence linking up with the latest scholarly developments, academic achievement, and technological breakthrough. Mission of the University An achievable mission ... Continue Reading
About University of Calabar (UNICAL)
Vision of the University
Attainment and maintenance of the highest form of excellence in teaching, research and service, thereby becoming a leading light in Nigeria, the Continent and the world of excellence linking up with the latest scholarly developments, academic achievement, and technological breakthrough.
Mission of the University
An achievable mission for the University of Calabar, given its environment and circumstances, is clearly the provision of:
- a conducive learning environment;
- high quality learning that is accessible and affordable;
- an attractive reward system for excellence in teaching, research, service to the community in the areas of Agriculture, Science, Medicine, Law, Arts, Social Sciences, and Humanities
- creativity and innovativeness;
- the spirit of co-operation and team work while recognizing individual talent and achievement.
Philosophy of the University
The philosophy of the University of Calabar is to:
- create a citizenry imbued with a high sense of duty and responsibility to the Nigerian Nation with character development receiving as much attention as academics.
- establish a conducive campus atmosphere for the cultivation of healthy social interactions among groups from all parts of Nigeria and elsewhere.
- make conscious use of local materials for instructional purposes in an effort to make her programme relevant to the needs of Nigeria.
UNICAL 2015/2016 Postgraduate Application Form Information
University of Calabar (UNICAL) is currently inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates for admission into graduate programmes in the 2015/2016 academic year leading to the award of Postgraduate Diploma, Masters and Doctor of Philosophy Degree.
Courses may be offered full-time or part-time. All programmes begin with coursework and end with a project for Graduate Diploma, MBA, MPA and MPAS or thesis for Master’s and Ph.D degree.
DURATION OF PROGRAMME: For full-time studies the Postgraduate Diploma lasts for two (2) semesters. The Master’s degrees last for 3 – 5 semesters; and the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) programmes last for 6 – 10 semesters.
For part-time programmes, the Master’s degrees last for 4-6 semesters, the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) lasts for 10-14 semesters.
Note that PGD programmes run on full-time basis only.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION: Candidates are required to have a minimum CGPA of 3.00 on a 5-point scale and 2.75 on a 4-point scale for Master’s programmes and 4.00 on a 5-point scale and 3.00 on a 4-point scale for the Ph.D programmes. A CGPA of 1.50 and above is required for PGD programmes.
Candidates with Master’s degree from recognized universities may credit the relevant courses towards the Ph.D programme, provided that the quality of the grade is acceptable to the Graduate School
1. Faculty of Agriculture: Agricultural Economics, Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology, Animal Science; Crop Science; Soil Science; Forestry and Wildlife Resource Management
2. Faculty of Allied Medical Sciences: Public Health; Medical Laboratory Science (Medical Microbiology/ Parasitology Unit, Chemical Pathology Unit and Haematology Unit), Radiography and Radiological Sciences, Nursing Sciences.
3. Faculty of Arts: English and Literary Studies; History and International Studies; Linguistics and Communication Studies; Religious and Cultural Studies; Philosophy; Theatre and Media Studies; Modern Languages and Translation Studies.
4. Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences: Anatomy; Biochemistry; Pharmacology; Physiology.
5. Faculty of Education : Arts Education; Business Education; Continuing Education and Development Studies; Curriculum and Teaching; Educational Administration and Planning; Educational Foundations, Guidance and Counselling; Environmental Education; Human Kinetics and Health Education; Library and Information Science; Science Education; Social Science Education; Special Education.
6. Faculty of Law: Law
7. Faculty of Management Sciences: Accounting, Banking and Finance; Business Management; Marketing.
8. Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry: Medicine and Dentistry; Community Medicine.
9. Faculty of Science: Botany; Genetics and Biotechnology; Geology; Mathematics; Statistics; Computer Science; Microbiology; Physics; Pure and Applied Chemistry; Zoology and Environmental Biology.
10. Faculty of Social Sciences: Economics; Geography and Environmental Science; Political Science; Sociology; Public Administration.
11. Institute of Education: PGD Education, PGD Environmental Education
12. Institute of Oceanography: Fisheries and Aquaculture; Physical Oceanography; Biological Oceanography
13. Institute of Public Policy and Administration: PGD Public Administration; Policy and Administrative Studies.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Interested candidates are to first log on to our website www.unicalonline.edu.ng or click here to access the prospectus for the complete description of available courses for 2015/2016 academic session.
Thereafter, candidates are required to pay a non-refundable fee of N20,000.00 at any branch of the under-listed banks nationwide. A printout with a unique PIN will be issued at the bank.
Candidates would then enter their unique PIN and their mobile phone numbers on the website to access the form. Follow the steps by providing your data as prompted and ensure that your form is submitted.
YOU ARE TO PRINT OUT A COPY OF YOUR FORM AND CONCEPT NOTE, BY CLICKING ON PRINT button after submission. Please bring a copy of the printed form to the venue on the day of the screening.
Process flow of E-Scratch Card for UNICAL Post Graduate Application
1. Walk into any bank across the federation and make payment on E-Transact platform to purchase Graduate School application form for 2015/2016 academic session
2. Walk into any Enterprise Bank across the federation and make payment on Calpay platform to purchase Graduate School application form for 2015/2016 academic session
3. Make a payment of N20,000.00 and obtain the payment slip.
4. Go online to www.unicalpg.org
6. Log on with the generated pin on the payment slip to fill the Post Graduate form.
Note: Filling of forms – Surnames first, First name next, Middle name last. There will be no changes made after submission of application forms online. Therefore candidates must think through before submission as any changes will attract a fee. This is to prevent multiple applications. The titles Mr, Miss or Mrs may be used but not Rev(Dr), Chief, etc. Programmes applied for should be Ph.D, M.A, M.Ed, M.Sc, MPH, LLM, PGDE, PGDEE, PGDPA, PGDM, PGD, etc.
As part of the application, candidates are expected to submit a CONCEPT NOTE of 3 pages maximum for Ph.D programmes and a-one-and-a-half (1 ½) page maximum for Masters’ programme. The concept note will be typed online in a space provided in the form and printed out for submission to the department. The concept note is a MINI SUMMARY OF RESEARCH PROPOSAL highlighting what candidates intend to research on when admitted. It has to cover the following:
– Statement of the programme
– Relevance of study to self and society
– Aim(s) of the study
– Brief theoretical background
Note: Candidates who fail to send their concept notes online along with their application forms will not be allowed to take part in the oral interview
Candidates are to ensure that their academic transcripts are forwarded by their previous institutions through courier service to the Academic Secretary, Graduate School, University of Calabar, P.M.B. 1115, Calabar, Cross River State, ON OR BEFORE THE DEADLINE INDICATED BELOW.
ALL TRANSCRIPTS MUST BE RECEIVED IN GRADUATE SCHOOL ON OR BEFORE THE SCREENING DAY being NOVEMBER 6, 2015.
Candidates whose transcripts are not received in the Graduate School by November 6, shall NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR ADMISSION.
There will be no room for awaiting results (all applicants whose results have not been approved by the Graduate School Board/University Senate will not be considered for admission).
ADMISSION SCREENING EXERCISE
All candidates are also expected to take part in the admission screening exercise which take place on Friday, Novermber 13, 2015 for MBA, MPAS, and all PGD candidates while Saturday, November 14, 2015 is for Masters and Ph.D candidates.
The screening test will be a computer based test as follows:
Part A – Written (Use of English Language, Logic, Mathematics, ICT and General Knowledge);
Part B– Oral interview in the respective departments based on subject area/concept note for Ph.D and Master’s candidates.
There shall be No oral interview for MBA, MPAS and all PGD programmes.
The website for submission of application will be shut down on Friday, November 06, 2015.
See more updates from: