In this topic, we’ll continue working with geometry applications. We will add several new formulas to our collection of formulas. To help you as you do the examples and exercises in this section, we will show the Problem Solving Strategy for Geometry Applications here.
Problem Solving Strategy for Geometry Applications
- Read the problem and make sure you understand all the words and ideas. Draw the figure and label it with the given information.
- Identify what you are looking for.
- Name what you are looking for. Choose a variable to represent that quantity.
- Translate into an equation by writing the appropriate formula or model for the situation. Substitute in the given information.
- Solve the equation using good algebra techniques.
- Check the answer in the problem and make sure it makes sense.
- Answer the question with a complete sentence.