Electric Circuits Further Explored
The study of electrical circuits is essential to understanding the technology that uses electricity in the real-world. In this section we will focus on revising content from the previous lessons and extending our understanding of the internal structure of a battery/cell and how this influences what you already know about circuits.
Aims and Objectives
Series and parallel networks of resistors:
- Understanding of Ohm’s Law.
- The meaning of conservation of charge and energy for different types of circuits.
- Calculations done using series and parallel circuits.
- Solve problems involving current, voltage and resistance for circuits.
Batteries and internal resistance:
- State that a real battery has internal resistance.
- Definition of a load.
- Do experiments of finding the internal resistance of a battery.
- Do calculations by using circuits with batteries with internal resistance.
Evaluating internal resistance in circuits:
- Solve circuit problems using batteries with internal resistance with series, parallel and series-parallel circuits.
Extension: Wheatstone Bridge:
- Definition of a Wheatstone Bridge.
- Solve problems concerning the Wheatstone Bridge.