This is defined as the most frequently occurring number in a set of data.
Find the mode of the following scores: 30, 25, 60, 80, 60, 25, 80, 60, 40, 60, 80, 30, 20.
The mode is 60. This is because 60 appeared or occurred 4 times and that is the highest number of times a figure appeared in the data set.
Merits of Mode:
- It is easy to determine.
- It is easy to understand.
- It is not affected by extreme values.
- It is easy to compute.
Demerits of Mode
- It is not a very accurate measure of central tendency.
- It is irrelevant in further statistical calculation.
- It represents a very poor statistical average.
- There may be uncertainty in the exact location.