Public Enterprises are business organisations that are owned by the government. They come into existence through enabling Acts of Parliament, decrees, or edict in a particular state or country, e.g. Nigerian Ports Authority, State Water Corporation, etc.
Features of Public Enterprises
- They are usually owned by the government.
- They are established mainly for the purpose of rendering services.
- They rely on government subventions to survive.
- They are monopolistic in nature.
- They require large capital to start.