Study in UK: LSHTM Fully-funded PACF Masters Scholarships for Sub-Saharan African Students
Applications are currently ongoing for the LSHTM Fully-funded PACF Masters Scholarships for Students from sub-Saharan Africa – UK. Interested students should see the details below.
Scholarship Details and FAQs
Two highly competitive PACF Scholarships are available to applicants from sub-Saharan Africa intending to study at London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine on a one-year, full-time, London-based 2018-19 qualifying MSc programme.
When is the application deadline?
midnight (GMT) on Sunday 18th February 2018.
Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
In which host country will I be studying?
What is the scholarship about?
The Positive Action for Children Fund Scholarship Programme combines completion of a health/development-focused qualifying MSc programme with practical industry experience to equip students with the knowledge and skills to be effective advocates and catalysts of change in their home country, with a particular focus on championing the role of community interventions in contributing to the HIV and global health response.
The programme’s objectives are to:
- build knowledge, understanding and skills in global health theory;
- apply this learning within the development industry context through practical experience;
- develop strategies to address in-country health gaps and accelerate country-level responses, with a particular focus on community-led interventions; and
- grow in-country advocates and catalysts for positive change in HIV/AIDS programming.
Fields of Study
The qualifying programmes are: MSc Control of Infectious Diseases, MSc Epidemiology, MSc Health Policy, Planning & Financing, MSc Public Health, MSc Public Health for Development, and MSc Reproductive & Sexual Health Research.
What is the course level?
How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
To be eligible for these scholarships, applicants must
- be nationals of, and resident in, countries in sub-Saharan Africa; and
- intend to return to sub-Saharan Africa on completion of their MSc year at the School; and
- have 2 years experience working in any function (board, staff, volunteer etc.) within a grassroots community based organisation with a focus on HIV/AIDS and/or public health intervention. The selection committee consider a grassroots community organisation to be a non-profit group that work with local communities in delivering HIV/AIDS and/or public health interventions. Applications are encouraged from volunteers, youth group leaders, peer-support group leaders who are delivering locally based interventions.
- confirm (by submitting an application for this scholarship) that s/he would not otherwise be able to pay for their proposed programme of study, and
- agree to undertaking a 3 month placement with PACF, in their London office, during the summer (whilst simultaneously undertaking their MSc project); and
- meet the School’s minimum English language requirements, as required for admission to study, if short-listed; and
- hold an offer of admission for 2018-19 for one of the following London-based MSc programmes of study
- MSc Control of Infectious Diseases
- MSc Epidemiology
- MSc Health Policy, Planning & Financing
- MSc Public Health
- MSc Reproductive & Sexual Health
- MSc Public Health for Development
Applicants should ensure they demonstrate outstanding experience and qualifications in their study and scholarship applications, as appropriate. Preference will be given to those candidates who show how their skills and knowledge might be applied to community HIV/AIDS interventions, and who explain how they will be effective catalysts of change in their communities, particularly with regard to community HIV/AIDS interventions, once they have completed their MSc programme of study.
Number of Awardees
What are the benefits of the scholarship?
Each scholarship will cover:
- tuition fees, including any mandatory field trip fees, and
- a tax-free stipend (living allowance) of GBP 16,750.00, and
- GBP 2,000.00 towards MSc project costs, and
- a training support grant for the practical learning element of the award.
It is a condition of this funding that PACF Scholars must undertake a three-month practical element at PACF’s London office, during the period they conduct their MSc project. The purpose of this is to provide students with training, learning, and practical experience, and an opportunity to complete their MSc project, whilst undertaking their placement at PACF.
How long will the scholarship last? of Scholarship: 1 year
How to Apply for the Scholarship
Applicants should complete both steps below by the scholarship deadline.
- Step 1: Submit an application for an eligible 2018-19 London-based MSc programme of study, as per instructions under the ‘How to Apply’ tab on the relevant programme of study page, ensuring that all necessary supplementary documents (including references) are submitted via the Admissions portal as soon as possible to ensure that an offer of admission is held by the scholarship deadline.
- Step 2: Submit an online scholarships application, selecting the option ‘PACF MSc Scholarships’. A completed Supplementary Questions Form for this scholarship must be uploaded as part of the Scholarship application. (This is the only document which should be uploaded on the Scholarships online application.)
If you encounter any technical difficulties whilst using the online application system please contact LSHTM IT
by email, providing them with your full name; the scholarship that you are applying for; and the issue that you have encountered. Please attach a screen shot of the difficulty.
See more updates from:
- Learn Web and Android Programming: Google/Udacity Africa Scholarship Program 2018 - 16 hours ago
- Study in Germany: 2018 100% Bucerius Global Scholarships for International Students - 18 hours ago
- Apply for the 2019 Africa Prize for Engineering Innovation in Sub-Saharan Africa - 18 hours ago
- Study in UK: 2018 Developing Solutions Masters Scholarships for African and Commonwealth Countries - 1 day ago
- Study in UK: 2018 Bangor University Merit Scholarships for International Students - 1 day ago
- Study in UK: 2018 Bangor University Commonwealth Shared Scholarships for African Students - 1 day ago
- Study In Germany: 2018 University of Bonn ZEF’s Doctoral Scholarship Programme - 1 day ago