UNN Postgraduate Admission Invitation and Details, 2019/2020
- UNN Postgraduate Admission Invitation and Details, 2019/2020
- How to Apply for UNN Postgraduate Admission
- Earlier: UNN Postgraduate Admission | Second Semester Ph.D Degree Admission Form
- Earlier: UNN Postgraduate Supplementary Admission Details
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into postgraduate programmes in the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, leading to the award of Postgraduate Diplomas and Master’s and Doctorate degrees in the areas of specialization indicated under each Department/Institute/Centre as follows for the 2019/2020 academic session:
General Entry Requirements
i) Candidates for admission into any postgraduate programme of the University must have obtained 5 credits at not more than two sittings in WASC or GCE or NECO or NABTEB including English Language. Candidates shall also possess the minimum entry requirements for admission into the first degree and postgraduate programmes in their areas of interest for postgraduate studies.
ii) Graduates of the University of Nigeria or other recognized Universities who possess the above qualifications are eligible to apply.
iii) For the PGD in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Architecture, only candidates with University degrees in relevant areas need apply.
A. POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES
- Graduates of the University of Nigeria or other recognized universities who have obtained a degree of bachelor with at least a third class honours with GPA not less than 2.00 on 5-point or its equivalent.
- Candidates with professional qualifications including HND must have obtained 5 credits in WASC or GCE O/L including English and Mathematics.
- For Candidates, who hold qualifications other than the above which are acceptable to the Board of the School of Postgraduate Studies and Senate of the University, may also be considered for admission.
B. MASTER’S DEGREE PROGRAMME
- The following shall qualify for Master’s Degree admission:
- Graduates of the University of Nigeria or of other recognized universities who have obtained the Bachelor’s degree in relevant disciplines with at least a second class honours with not less than 2.50 GPA;
- Candidates with relevant Postgraduate Diplomas from the University of Nigeria or any other recognized university with at least credit level passes with a minimum GPA of 3.5 on a 5-point scale or 3.0 on 4-point scale;
- Candidates whose first degrees are unclassified but have scores of 50% or above;
C. DOCTORATE DEGREE (Ph.D.) PROGRAMME
- Candidate from the University of Nigeria or from other recognized Universities who have obtained Master’s degree appropriate for the proposed areas of study shall qualify for Doctorate Degree admission. Specifically,
- A minimum of Master’s degree GPA of 3.5 on a 5-point scale or 3.00 on a 4-point scale is required for admission into Ph.D programme in all Departments except those departments listed in (ii) below:
- A minimum GPA of 4.0 on a 5-point scale is required for admission into Ph.D programme in the following Departments/Faculties: Music, Economics, Psychology, Education, Medical/Health Sciences, Business Administration, Department of Public Administration and Local Government.
- A minimum score of B (or 60% average) at Master’s degree provided that satisfactory research work formed part of the Master’s Degree programme.
DURATION OF COURSES:
(a) Postgraduate Diploma (Regular) – Two semesters
(a) Postgraduate Diploma (Sandwich) – Three Long Vacations
(b) Master’s degree (Regular):
(i) A minimum of 3 semesters for full-time and 5 Semesters for part-time in all Departments/Faculties except for the Departments/Faculties listed in c(ii) below.
(ii) A minimum of 4 semesters for Full-time and 6 semesters for part-time for the following Departments/Faculties: Sociology, Psychology, Public Administration and Local Government (PALG), Agriculture, Veterinary Medicine, Education and Business Administration.
(a) M.Ed. (Sandwich) – three long vacations.
(b) Ph.D. degree Programme – A minimum of six semester for full time and eight semesters for part time in all Faculties except Agriculture which is four semesters for full time and six semesters for part time. (Ph.D. is not run as a Sandwich programme).
Candidates are expected to complete their programmes at the minimum duration but not to exceed the maximum. (See: Postgraduate Regulations).
Also See: UNN Postgraduate Screening Result
How to Apply for UNN Postgraduate Admission
- Application Forms can be obtained ONLINE on payment of a non-refundable fee of ₦25,000.00 (Twenty five thousand naira only) made payable to “The University of Nigeria Postgraduate Application Fees Account, at any bank within the country using the Remita platform.
- Applicants should log on to www.unn.edu.ng and follow the procedures stated below:
- Click on UNN Portal or through this link unnportal.unn.edu.ng.
- Click on PG Application form to generate invoice for payment.
- Use your phone number to generate the invoice. You are advised to use a functional number to enable us reach you for the admission screening test.
- Proceed to any Bank with Remita platform for payment.
- Return to the UNN Portal with your payment confirmation pin from the Bank and follow the procedure for completing the form.
Candidates should download three (3) copies of the referee report (D1) forms after completing preliminary and personal details online. Some details on the form would be inserted automatically with the information provided by the candidate online while the remaining information should be completed by the referee manually and returned to the candidate who will enclose it in sealed envelope for submission. Please note that applications would not be processed unless the referees’ reports are available.
Candidate should download transcript request forms (D2) also provided online, and submit to their former Universities/Institutions to forward with a copy of Academic transcript(s) to “The Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies, University of Nigeria, Nsukka” to reach him/her not later than 30thJuly. Candidates whose transcripts are not received on or before the deadline by the School would not have their application forms processed.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION FORMS
Most information required would be completed online. However, a copy of the online completed application form should be downloaded and printed. The printed application form with the relevant documents as listed below should be posted or delivered to the Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, for Nsukka based faculties. Candidates for Enugu based faculties are to submit their application forms by post or delivered to: The PAR, School of Postgraduate Unit, University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus. For ease of reference, Enugu based faculties are: Business Administration; Environmental Studies; Health Sciences & Technology; Medical Sciences; Institute for Development Studies (IDS) and Centre for Environmental Management & Control (CEMAC). Candidates are advised to ensure that the following documents are enclosed in the file:
(a) NYSC Certificates (Discharge or Exemption or exclusion Certificate). Note that To Whom It May Concern shall not be accepted.
(b) Two copies of the Application summary form (D3) available online should be downloaded & printed:
(i) One copy of the printed summary form (D3) should be glued very neatly (NOT STAPLED) on a brown 10” X 15” envelope;
(ii) The second copy of the printed summary form (D3) should be glued very neatly (NOT STAPLED) on a white 9” X 13” file Jacket;
(c) All accompanying documents should be placed in the file Jacket, specified in (c.ii) and the File Jacket should be placed in brown envelope as specified in (c.i.) above.
All documents must fit into the 10” X 15” envelope and delivered or addressed and sent by courier to “The Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies, University of Nigeria, Nsukka”.
Online sale of UNN Supplementary Postgraduate Application Forms ends on 31st March, 2019.
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS
- All applicants will undergo computer based Postgraduate admission screening test.
- Check out for information on screening processes via the UNN Website unn.edu.ng from, Monday 1st July, 2019, for your further necessary action.
- Dates for the Screening Test: 19th July, 2019.
NOTE: For Ph.D. degree programme, a candidate must obtain at least an acceptance letter for publishing an article from a journal certified by the University of Nigeria, Nsukka as a condition for graduation.
Earlier: UNN Postgraduate Admission | Second Semester Ph.D Degree Admission Form
Application are invited from suitably qualified candidates for Second Semester Ph.D degree admissions in various Departments/Institutions/Centres in the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
UNN Ph.D Admission Requirements
Candidates for Ph.D admission must satisfy the following conditions:
- Candidates for Ph.D programme must have academic Master’s degree in relevant areas with a minimum CGPA of 3.0/4 or 3.5/5.0 or 60% and Project score not lower than 60% (B). However, Department of Music, Economics Public Administration and Local Government, and Psychology, and Faculties of Education, Medical/Health Sciences and Technology, and Business Administration require 4.0 GPA on 5-point scale for Ph.D admission.
- Candidates for Professional doctorate should have an academic or professional Master’s degree with a minimum of 3.5/5.0 in the relevant field
- Candidates must demonstrate adequate intellectual capacity, maturity and effective decision making and problem solving potentials.
- Candidates who hold other qualifications considered equivalent to (i) above which are acceptable to the Board of the School of Postgraduate Studies and Senate of the University.
How to Apply for UNN Doctoral (Ph.D.) Admission
(i) An application form for admission into a course of study leading to higher degree shall be made, on a prescribed SPGS Form I obtainable online at www.portal.unn.edu.ng-clickon“Applications” on payment of the appropriate fees. Completed Application Form, together with copies of relevant certificates shall be sent to the Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies, University of Nigeria, Nsukka. The candidate should then cause his/her three referees to send their confidential reports on the Referee’s Report Form 2 direct to the Secretary to the School. The candidate should also ask his former University/Institution to send his/her transcript to the Secretary to the School in good time.
(ii) Candidates for Regular Postgraduate Diploma and Masters degree programmes are considered for admission once in an academic session normally in September, while doctoral programmes are considered for admission twice in a session (September and April), at the beginning of the first and second semesters.
(iii) Any request by candidates who have applied for admission for change of Department, degree in view, field of study etc. must reach the Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies before the last date for the submission of completed application form.
- Inter-University Transfer: A student wishing to transfer to the University from another university of good standing should cause his/her application and transcript to be sent to the Dean, School of Postgraduate Studies who will forward same to the Departmental/Faculty Postgraduate Studies Committee for recommendation. A candidate so recommended will be required to pay a transfer fee as may be prescribed by Senate.
- Research Proposal: Applicants for the Doctoral programmes of the university are required to submit, as a condition for graduation, detailed research proposal of not more than three pages and which must include:
- Proposed topic
- Statement of objective(s) of the study
- Summary of five relevant recent literatures that supports the research objectives
- An indication of the intended research methodology
- Expected result(s) with an indication of possible contributions to knowledge. Applications without research proposal or one written without indication of thoughtful consideration of most of the above issues will be rejected.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT FOR GRADUATION:
For the Ph.D degree programme, a candidate must obtain at least an acceptance letter from a journal certified by the University of Nigeria as a condition for graduation.
For further information on the available Ph.D programmes, please visit www.spgs.unn.edu.ng
Closing Date: 7th February, 2019.
Earlier: UNN Postgraduate Supplementary Admission Details
UNN Postgraduate Supplementary Admission: This is to inform all suitably qualified candidates that applications are currently being accepted for UNN postgraduate admission i.e. admission into programmes in the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, leading to the award of Postgraduate Diplomas and Master’s and Doctorate degrees in the areas of specialization indicated under each Department/Institute/Centre as follows for the 2018/2019 academic session: