UNN Postgraduate Admission Invitation and Details, 2020/2021 (Primary)
- UNN Postgraduate Admission Invitation and Details, 2020/2021 (Primary)
- How to Apply for UNN Postgraduate Admission
LATEST UPDATE: This is to inform all prospective postgraduate students that the online postgraduate form has been re-opened. This is to enable students who did not complete their forms earlier and also enable students who have an interest in the UNN PG program to purchase the form.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into postgraduate programmes in the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, leading to the award of Postgraduate Diplomas and Master’s and Doctorate degrees in the areas of specialization indicated under each Department/Institute/Centre as follows for the 2020/2021 academic session:
General Entry Requirements
i) Candidates for admission into any postgraduate programme of the University must have obtained 5 credits at not more than two sittings in WASC or GCE or NECO or NABTEB including English Language. Candidates shall also possess the minimum entry requirements for admission into the first degree and postgraduate programmes in their areas of interest for postgraduate studies.
ii) Graduates of the University of Nigeria or other recognized Universities who possess the above qualifications are eligible to apply.
iii) For the PGD in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Architecture, only candidates with University degrees in relevant areas need apply.
A. POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES
- Graduates of the University of Nigeria or other recognized universities who have obtained a degree of bachelor with at least a third class honours with GPA not less than 2.00 on 5-point or its equivalent.
- Candidates with professional qualifications including HND must have obtained 5 credits in WASC or GCE O/L including English and Mathematics.
- For Candidates, who hold qualifications other than the above which are acceptable to the Board of the School of Postgraduate Studies and Senate of the University, may also be considered for admission.
B. MASTER’S DEGREE PROGRAMME
- The following shall qualify for Master’s Degree admission:
- Graduates of the University of Nigeria or of other recognized universities who have obtained the Bachelor’s degree in relevant disciplines with at least a second class honours with not less than 2.50 GPA;
- Candidates with relevant Postgraduate Diplomas from the University of Nigeria or any other recognized university with at least credit level passes with a minimum GPA of 3.5 on a 5-point scale or 3.0 on 4-point scale;
- Candidates whose first degrees are unclassified but have scores of 50% or above;
C. DOCTORATE DEGREE (Ph.D.) PROGRAMME
- Candidate from the University of Nigeria or from other recognized Universities who have obtained Master’s degree appropriate for the proposed areas of study shall qualify for Doctorate Degree admission. Specifically,
- A minimum of Master’s degree GPA of 3.5 on a 5-point scale or 3.00 on a 4-point scale is required for admission into Ph.D programme in all Departments except those departments listed in (ii) below:
- A minimum GPA of 4.0 on a 5-point scale is required for admission into Ph.D programme in the following Departments/Faculties: Music, Economics, Psychology, Education, Medical/Health Sciences, Business Administration, Department of Public Administration and Local Government.
- A minimum score of B (or 60% average) at Master’s degree provided that satisfactory research work formed part of the Master’s Degree programme.
DURATION OF COURSES:
(a) Postgraduate Diploma (Regular) – Two semesters (a) Postgraduate Diploma (Sandwich) – Three Long Vacations (b) Master’s degree (Regular): (i) A minimum of 3 semesters for full-time and 5 Semesters for part-time in all Departments/Faculties except for the Departments/Faculties listed in c(ii) below. (ii) A minimum of 4 semesters for Full-time and 6 semesters for part-time for the following Departments/Faculties: Sociology, Psychology, Public Administration and Local Government (PALG), Agriculture, Veterinary Medicine, Education and Business Administration. (a) M.Ed. (Sandwich) – three long vacations. (b) Ph.D. degree Programme – A minimum of six semester for full time and eight semesters for part time in all Faculties except Agriculture which is four semesters for full time and six semesters for part time. (Ph.D. is not run as a Sandwich programme). Candidates are expected to complete their programmes at the minimum duration but not to exceed the maximum. (See: Postgraduate Regulations).
Also See: UNN Postgraduate Screening Result
How to Apply for UNN Postgraduate Admission
Application Forms can be obtained ONLINE on payment of a non-refundable fee of N26,700.00 (Twenty six, seven hundred naira only) made payable to “The University of Nigeria Postgraduate Application Fees Account, at any bank within the country using the Remita platform. Below is the process flow for the application:
- Login to the UNN Portal- www.unnportal.unn.edu.ng
- Go to postgraduate students
- Select PG form for 2020/2021
- Enter your telephone number.
- Fill in your basic details.
- Generate Invoice with RRR.
- Make payments using the online channel or at the bank.
- Come back to online form.
- Fill the PG online application form.
- Upload all necessary credentials in PDF.
- Complete referee form. (Enter correct Emails).
- Check the complete details
- Submit form.
Please note that with the exception of the transcript, you are not expected to submit hard copies of application materials to the school of Postgraduate Studies.
Candidates should download three (3) copies of the referee report (D1) forms after completing preliminary and personal details online. Some details on the form would be inserted automatically with the information provided by the candidate online while the remaining information should be completed by the referee manually and returned to the candidate who will enclose it in sealed envelope for submission. Please note that applications would not be processed unless the referees’ reports are available.
Candidates should download transcript request forms (D2) also provided online, and submit to their former Universities/Institutions to forward their academic transcript(s) to “The Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies, University of Nigeria, Nsukka” to reach him/her not later than
15th April, 2020. Candidates whose transcripts are not received on or before the deadline by the School shall not have their application forms processed.
All information required would be completed online except the transcript. Copies of qualifying certificates/statement of result and NYSC discharge certificate (Exemption or Exclusion Certificate) are to be attached. Note that To Whom It May Concern shall not be accepted in lieu of the certificates specified above.
For Regular/Sandwich programmes, Postgraduate Diploma, Master’s and Doctorate degree programme, candidates are considered for admission once in a session. Regular students are expected to register their postgraduate courses within four weeks from the commencement of the session. Candidates admitted for sandwich programmes are expected to register not later than two weeks from the commencement of the sandwich session.
Application starts from Monday, 9th March, 2020 and continues until further notice.
Wednesday, 22nd April, 2020.
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS
- All applicants will undergo computer based postgraduate admission screening.
- Check out for information on screening processes via the UNN Website www.unn.edu.ng from, 1st July, 2020, for your further necessary action.
- Date for the Postgraduate Admission Screening: 17th and 18th July, 2020.
- NOTE: For Ph.D degree programme, a candidate must have published at least an article from his/her Ph.D thesis in a journal certified by the University of Nigeria, Nsukka as a condition for graduation.
- Plagiarism test shall be run on Master’s Project Report and Ph.D Thesis before they can be approved.
NOTE: For Ph.D. degree programme, a candidate must obtain at least an acceptance letter for publishing an article from a journal certified by the University of Nigeria, Nsukka as a condition for graduation.