UI Postgraduate Admission details released: The University of Ibadan (UI) Admission into Postgraduate Programmes for the 2019/2020 Session Has Been Announced
The School of Postgraduate Studies, University of Ibadan (UI) invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for admission into various postgraduate programmes for 2019/2020 Academic Session.
Types of Admission Into UI Postgraduate Degree Programmes
- Types of Admission Into UI Postgraduate Degree Programmes
- Available UNILORIN Postgraduate Programmes
- General Regulations Governing Admission to UI Higher Degree Programmes
- Method of Application: UI Postgraduate Admission Form
- About University of Ibadan (UI)
(i) Full-Time Admission
Full – time admission can be offered only to candidates who satisfy the Postgraduate School that they are not in employment, or that they have been released by their employers to undertake full – time studies. Candidates found to have made a false declaration in th is regard shall be asked to withdraw from the University.
(ii) Part- Time Admission
Candidates may be admitted to part – time registration, if they are on the academic staff of the University or can satisfy the Postgraduate School that facilities for their w ork as part – time students are adequate. Candidates applying for part-time registration may be asked to show evidence of release by their employers.
(iii) Admission as Occasional Students
Candidates who satisfy the minimum entry requirements for higher degree programme and are recommended by the Faculty Postgraduate Committee may be admitted as occasional students, but shall not be awarded a degree of the University of Ibadan. This type of admission is also open to candidates registered for higher degrees of other Universities, recognised by Senate.
Available UNILORIN Postgraduate Programmes
Check the attached PDF document below for the list of available postgraduate programmes and the specific requirement for each programme.
General Regulations Governing Admission to UI Higher Degree Programmes
(a) Candidates for admission to higher degree programmes shall normally be graduates of the University of Ibadan or other Universities/Institutions recognised by the Senate. Admission shall be made by the Postgraduate School on the recommendation of the appropriate Faculty Postgraduate Committee.
(b) Candidates without any previous higher degrees in the relevant discipline may be admitted only to either the Degree of Master or the Professional Degree of Master.
(c) Candidates with recognised “ Research Higher” Degree in the relevant discipline may be admitted to the M.Phil or Ph.D. degree programmes as appropriate, on the recommendation of the appropriate Faculty Postgraduate Committee.
(d) Where, in respect of an otherwise eligible candidate with a higher degree, a firm recommendation for admission to the Ph.D. degree programme cannot be made, a Faculty may recommend that a candidate be admitted provisionally to the M.Phil/Ph.D. programme pending an assessment report. Such an assessment sh all be made by a panel set up by the Faculty Postgraduate Committee on the recommendation of the student’s department and shall take place not later than the end of the first semester of registration.
Method of Application: UI Postgraduate Admission Form
Requests for application forms into higher degree programmes of the University are normally made every year. The procedure for obtaining Application Forms is available at www.pgschool.ui.edu.ng.
Application forms cost N13,000 for academic programmes and N18,000 for professional programmes. Applicants for the degree of Master and Postgraduate Diploma are to pay an extra N3,000:00 for test of proficiency in English Language.
GUIDELINES FOR FILLING APPLICATION FORMS
(a) All application forms are to be submitted on-line. Applicants are to approach any of the Banks listed on the invoice. Note that E-channels are available at GTB and Skye Bank PLC.
(b) Incomplete information from an applicant may delay or halt action on such application.
(c) A candidate may apply to only one department or programme.
(d) Applicants are to upload their relevant credentials and submit along with their application electronically
(e) Acknowledgement of Application
Applicants would be informed electronically (through the e mail addresses provided in the electronically filled Application form) of progress in the processing of their forms.
(f) Letters of Recommendation
The Postgraduate School, University of Ibadan, requires three letters of recommendation from faculty members or others well acquainted with the student’s academic work. Please note that the referee forms are a vailable on line, to be completed and submitted electronically.
(g ) Transcripts/Certificates
Official transcripts of all degrees completed are to be mailed directly to the Postgraduate School . If the Registrar of an applicant’s University will provide an official copy to the School directly, applicants must enclose along with the application an unofficial or student’s copy of the transcript for temporary reference. To prevent delays, applicants should make adequate arrangements with their Registrars to provide transcripts before the stipulated deadline.
BASIC INFORMATION AND REQUIREMENTS
1. All interested candidates are expected to have a personal e-mail address which must not be shared with others for the purpose of this application. (If you wish to get an e-mail account free, please visit any of these sites: www.yahoo.com, www.hotmail.com, www.live.com, www.rocketmail.com, www.ymail.com, www.gmail.com or any other site that provides e-mail services.)
2. The Postgraduate School, UI requires all applicants to have one telephone line to which text messages (SMS) could be sent.
3. All applicants are expected to be able to browse and check their e-mails from time to time.
4. Carefully read the prospectus to verify that the programme you are seeking admission into, is available and you have the basic qualifications required for admission into the programme
5. If you have questions about qualifications and programmes, Please call the information Officer on 09090561432, 09086464623 mail:il:email@example.com
6. If you have found a programme that you wish to apply for and you have the required basic qualifications, please click the ‘New Application Process’ button
7. Having satisfied step 1, each applicant would be requested to supply Names, Country of Origin, e-mail Address, phone number, country code and country of residence . A mail containing an application number and a password would be sent to the supplied e-mail address and the applicant would be requested to retrieve and supply these to confirm the e-mail Address. (It is very important that each applicant supplies a valid and accessible e-mail address)
8. Each applicant will then be required to select the programme he/she intends to apply for. An Invoice will be generated which you will pay at any branch of the banks listed on the invoice or pay online via the payment portal. (Foreigners would be expected to pay into the international account of the PG School specified on the invoice or use international cards ). Please note that if you are
applying for the degree of Master or PGD, you would be required to take an English Proficiency test.
9. Following payment the applicant can commence the application procedure. Please note that you would be asked to upload scanned copies of your credentials. The credentials would include
(a) NYSC certificate or Call Up letter [if you are currently on the service] (if you are a Nigerian)
(b) Marriage Certificate (if you are female and married)
(c) Degree/ Diploma Certificate(s) (e.g. First Degree, Masters, HND, (Please note that if your certificate is not yet ready, you could select to supply an attestation letter in the meantime)
(d) O/A Level results – WAEC/GCE/NECO or certificates acceptable to the University of Ibadan
(e) Any professional certificate that you may possess
(f) Any other relevant documents to support your Application
10. To facilitate the process you are advised to prepare the scanned copies of these documents as well as your passport photograph (600 pixel in length and 480 pixel in breath) . The minimum size for a page is 6KB while the maximum size is 200KB. Only JPG, JPEG and PNG formats are accepted
11. Applicants will be required to supply the names and e-mail addresses of 3 individuals who would serve as your referees, All 3(Three) MUST be your former teacher/lecturer upon submission of form online, referees would be contacted via e-mail and directed to our e-referee portal to supply the needed information
12. After completion of all data entry, applicant will be required to review all information .All information may be corrected except the E-mail address and Country of Origin . Complaints are lodge directly with the Information Officer of the PG school
13. Are you satisfied with the review? click the submit form.
14. Print a copy of the Transcript Label to be sent along with your transcript request to your previous School. The Transcript Label must accompany to each transcript back to UI (UI graduates need not submit Transcript).
15. Application forms are submitted online. Do not submit printed copies at PGSCHOOL until you are granted admission and invited for clearance.
16. Applicant shall receive e-mail from the PG School on their application status. Applicants are advised to regularly log-on to the PG School Application portal to check on their application status.
Sale of application form for master and postgraduate diploma programmes will close on 30th September, 2019 at 11:59pm.
About University of Ibadan (UI)
Established some 67 years ago, the University of Ibadan, UI as it is fondly referred to, is the first University in Nigeria. Until 1962 when it became a full fledged independent University, it was a College of the University of London in a special relationship scheme.
The University, which took off with academic programmes in Arts, Science and Medicine, is now a comprehensive citadel of learning with academic programmes in thirteen Faculties namely, Arts, Science, Basic Medical Sciences, Clinical Sciences, Agriculture and Forestry, the Social Sciences, Education, Veterinary Medicine, Pharmacy, Technology, Law, Public Health and Dentistry.
The Faculties of the Basic Medical Sciences, Clinical Sciences, Public Health and Dentistry are organized as a College of Medicine. The University has other academic units among which are: Institute of Child Health, Institute of Education, Institute of African Studies, Centre for Child Adolescent and Mental Health, Centre for Educational Media Resource Studies, African Regional Centre for Information Science (ARCIS), Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies (CEPACS), Centre for Petroleum, Energy, Economics and Law (CPEEL), Centre for Sustainable Development (CESDEV), and Centre for Entrepreneurship and Innovation (CEI), Institute for Advanced Medical Research and Training (IAMRAT), Centre for Drug Discovery, Development & Production (CDDDP), Centre for Control & Prevention of Zoonosis (CCPZ). A new National Institute for Maternal Child & Neonatal Health (NIMCNH) & Institute for Infectious Diseases are under construction. A new School of Business (UISB) is expected to take off later this year.
The University, as part of efforts to fulfil a God given mandate of promoting Nigeria’s development, established a Research Foundation (UIRF).
The University of Ibadan Postgraduate School is, well acknowledged within and outside the country as one of the largest in Africa and the flagship of Postgraduate Education in Nigeria as it produces the much required human resources for the entire Nigerian University system, the Nigerian public and private sectors and beyond. The Postgraduate School enrolment takes about 50% of the entire student enrolment. University of Ibadan produces an average of 3,000 Masters & 250 Ph.Ds every year. The University currently hosts the Pan African University Life & Earth Sciences Institute on behalf of the West African Subregion. This is an initiative of the African Union. The programme is in its 2nd year and has 97 students from all over Africa. The University is, however, not resting on its oars as it intends to be ranked among the best universities worldwide, in keeping with its Mission statement:
There are twelve Halls of Residence which provide accommodation for about 30% of the population of students in the regular studies mode; and three others under construction with the support of the FG Revitalisation Funds. The University has 1212 housing units, out of which of which 609 units are occupied by senior staff and 603 units by junior staff. The University of Ibadan is, therefore, a truly complex organization. Its governance is based on the Committee System; all the Boards and Committees report to Council and/or Senate. In order to carry out its main functions of teaching, research and community service, the University has been providing to a large extent, basic services like electricity and water supply, security, health facilities and other municipal services to its staff and students.
Through its alumni and alumnae, the University of Ibadan has, in the past six decades contributed significantly to the political, industrial, economic and cultural development of Nigeria. Mission Statement To expand the frontiers of knowledge through provision of excellent conditions for learning and research To produce graduates who are worthy in character and sound judgement To contribute to the transformation of society through creativity and innovation To serve as a dynamic custodian of society’s salutary values and thus sustain its integrity.