Economics as a Course
Economics is the study of social behavior guiding in the allocation of scarce resources to meet the unlimited needs and desires of the individual members of a given society. In its most simple and concise definition, economics is the study of how society uses its limited resources. Economics is a social science that deals with the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services.
Subject Combination / JAMB UTME Requirements in Nigeria
In UTME, please note that English Language is Compulsory for this course. Therefore, the three (3) other JAMB UTME subject combination needed to study Economics under the Faculty of Social & Management Sciences in the below universities include Economics, Mathematics and any of Government, History, Geography, Lit-in-English, French and CRK/IRK.
ABU accepts Arabic
UNIILORIN requires Economics, Mathematics either Government or Geography or History.
OAU requires Mathematics, Economics and Geography or Government.
UI – Mathematics and any other two subjects
OOU -Mathematics and any one of Economics, Geography, Government, History and Literature in English
ABU, UNIJOS, UNIMAID, EKSU and ESUTECH – Mathematics is not compulsory
UNIILORIN requires one subject from Accounting, Commerce, Business Method, Geography Government and Statistics.
AAU and BAYERO require any Social Science subject as the third subject.
DELSU requires Social/Science subject as the fourth subject.
EBSU requires Mathematics, Economics and any other subject.
BINGHAM also requires Geography and Accounting.
AAUA require Mathematics, Economics and any other Social Science subject
SALEM and EKSU require Mathematics, Economics and one other Social Science subject.
UNILAG requires Economics, Mathematics and any Arts, Science or Social Science subject but not Commerce, CRK/IRK.
AUN Accepts any subject combination which includes Mathematics and any two of Environmental Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Literature in English, Government, History, Economics, Geography, Further Mathematics, Technical Drawing, Visual Arts, Computer Studies, Information Technology, Civics, and French.
ABSU requires Five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Economics and any two subjects.
WESTERN-DEL requires Economics, Mathematics and any of Government, History, Geography, Literature in English.
FED-LAFIA, DELSU requires Mathematics, Economics and Government.
NTNU accepts Principle of Accounting or Commerce in lieu of Economics.
FUNAAB requires one of Government, Commerce or Geography as the third subject.
SALEM for Criminology requires Government and any two of Economics, Geography and Literature in English.
NTNU accepts Economics/Principle of Accounting and any two Arts or Social Sciences subjects.
OOU accepts Mathematics/Economics and any two other Social Science subjects.
UNIABUJA requires Economic, Mathematics, and any other subject in Social & Management Sciences
List of Universities that offer Economics in Nigeria
The following are the list of universities that offer Economics as a course in Nigeria. They are arranged in order of their popularity among admission seekers and UTME applicants. Generally, there are 115 universities that offer Economics in Nigeria.
- University Of Ibadan, Ibadan
- Bayero University, Kano
- Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike
- University Of Ilorin, Ilorin
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- University Of Nigeria Nsukka
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka
- Kaduna State University, Kaduna
- Nigerian Defence Academy, Kaduna, Kaduna State
- Imo State University, Owerri
- Nasarawa State University, Keffi
- University Of Lagos
- Federal University, Dutse, Jigawa State
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife
- Federal University Of Agriculture, Abeokuta
- University Of Jos, Jos
- University Of Port-Harcourt
- University Of Abuja,Abuja
- Umaru Musa Yaradua University, Katsina
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State
- Delta State University, Abraka
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai
- Modibo Adama University Of Technology, Yola
- University Of Uyo
- University Of Calabar, Calabar
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- Usmanu Danfodio University, Sokoto
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko
- Nigerian Police Academy, Wudil, Kano State
- Kogi State University, Anyigba
- University Of Maiduguri
- Federal University, Ndufu-Alike, Ebonyi State
- Gombe State University, Tudun Wada, Gombe
- Federal University Of Technology, Akure
- Niger Delta University , Wilberforce Island
- Federal University, Wukari, Taraba State
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State
- Bauchi State University, Gadau, Bauchi State
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Enugu State University Of Science And Technology, Enugu
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina State
- Tai Solarin University Of Education, Ijagun
- Taraba State University, Jalingo
- Plateau State University, Bokkos
- Federal University, Birnin-Kebbi, Kebbi State
- Osun State University, Osogbo
- Sokoyo State University, Sokoto
- Adamawa State University, Mubi
- Federal University, Gusau, Zamfara State
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Northwest University, Kano, Kano State
- Akwa Ibom State University, Ikot-Akpaden
- Anambra State University, Uli
- Covenant University, Canaan Land, Ota
- Yobe State University, Damaturu
- Kwara State University, Malete, Ilorin
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Afe Babalola University , Ado-Ekiti
- Baze University, Fct, Abuja
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina
- American University Of Nigeria , Yola
- Lead City University , Ibadan
- Nigeria Turkish Nile University , Abuja
- Bingham University, Karu
- Veritas University, Abuja
- Madonna University, Okija
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Usmanu Danfodiyo University ( – Elearning), Sokoto
- University Of Uyo ( – Elearning), Uyo
- Al- Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu
- Mountain Top University, Makogi/Oba, Ogun State
- Caritas University, Amorji-Nike, Enugu
- Adeleke University, Ede, Osun State
- Salem University, Lokoja
- Redeemers University
- Godfrey Okoye University, Urgwuomu- Nike
- National Open University Of Nigerian – Elearning
- Ajayi Crowther University, Oyo
- University Of Maiduguri ( – Elearning), Maiduguri
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin, Ondo State
- Wesley University Of Science And Technology. Ondo
- Edwin Clark University, Kiagbodo, Delta State
- Michael And Cecilia Ibru University, Owhrode, Delta State
- University Of Mkar, Gboko
- Western Delta University, Oghara, Delta State
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ogun State
- Bells University Of Technology, Ota
- Obong University, Obong, Ntak
- Tansain University, Oba, Anambra State
- Crawford University,Faith City, Km , Atan-Agbara Road, Igbesa
- Caleb University, Imota
- Achievers University Owo
- Rhema University , Obeama, Rivers State
- Southwestern University, Okun-Owa, Ogun State
- Hallmark University,Ijebu-Itele,Ogun State
- Gregory University, Uturu, Abia State
- Hezekiah University, Umudi, Imo State
- Chrisland University, Owode, Ogun State
- Augustine University, Ilara, Lagos
- Wellspring University, Irhihi/Ogbaneki, Benin City
- Fountain University, Osogbo
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa, Edo State
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- Summit Univerity, Offa, Kwara State
- Ritman University,Ikot-Ekpene,Akwa-Ibom State
- Renaissance University, Ojiagu-Agbani, Enugu
- Novena University Ogume
- Paul University, Awka
- Christopher University, Mowe, Ogun State