The JAMB Admission letter is a document that officially certifies that you have been offered provisional admission into any degree programme in a Nigerian Higher Institution. Here is the procedure to follow to get your JAMB admission letter and check your JAMB admission status yourself.
About the JAMB Admission Letter
- About the JAMB Admission Letter
- How to Check Your JAMB Admission Status
- How to Print Your JAMB Admission Letter
- Important Facts You Need to Know About Your JAMB Admission Letter
Your JAMB Admission Letter contains information about the school you were offered admission, the faculty/school/college, department, the degree you are pursuing and the duration of the course.
Without the JAMB Admission Letter, you cannot authentically prove to any body that you were offered admission into any higher institution in Nigeria. It is issued by Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), the official Educational board in Nigeria for Tertiary Institutions.
Why do I need to print my JAMB Admission Letter?
Your JAMB Admission Letter is very important as it is usually required if:
- You need to have rest of mind that your admission is secured and have evidence to back it up.
- You need to successfully complete your admission registration and clearance process.
- You need to be approved and deployed for the National Youth Service Programme (NYSC).
- You need to successfully apply for a scholarship. Most Companies and Organizations will request for it.
- You need to further your education locally or abroad.
As you can see, your JAMB Admission Letter document is exceptionally important. Hence, you need to protect it and ensure that it is always available to you. It is therefore important to get your admission letter once you have confirmed your admission status.
How to Check Your JAMB Admission Status
The first step to getting your JAMB admission letter is to check your JAMB admission status for the year you wrote JAMB, or the most recent year (if you have written JAMB more than once) to ensure you have been admitted into your appropriate school and department. Once you have confirmed your admission status, then you can proceed to make payment for it and print.
Procedure to Check Your JAMB Admission Status:
- Visit the JAMB eFacility Portal.
- Ensure you still remember the Email address and Password you used to create your JAMB Account earlier in the registration process.
- Log in to your JAMB profile with your username and password.
- If you are getting the Invalid PIN Issue, it is possible that you didn’t enter the correct email used in your JAMB profile, or you left a space after entering your email. It could also be because you entered the wrong password or that you forgot that passwords are case sensitive (TundeAlabi is not the same as tundealabi). It could also result from a JAMB server error or the use of a bad browser (we recommend you use Google Chrome on a laptop or desktop computer, rather than phone). Depending on the problem, try to enter the correct email that you used to register, and don’t put space after entering your email. Ensure you enter your password correctly. If all else fails, then the issue is from JAMB’s server, and all you can do in this case is to keep trying.
- If you successfully login, your JAMB Candidates Dashboard or Home will appear.
- Scroll down to where you see Check Admission Status.
- Click on the Check Admission Status Menu.
- You should be required to enter your Examination Year and JAMB Registration Number, else, your admission status for the current year will appear.
- If you are admitted, go ahead to Print Your JAMB Admission Letter.
- If it says No Admission Given Yet, check back again as other batches of names may be added to the database of successfully admitted candidates.
How to Print Your JAMB Admission Letter
If you have already checked your JAMB Admission status, and you were given admission, you should get your JAMB admission letter as soon as possible. Here are the simple steps to take;
Procedure to Print your JAMB Admission Letter:
- Before your can proceed, you will need to to login to the JAMB eFacility portal.
- Login with your Email Address and Password.
- If you are unable to login, i.e. having the Invalid PIN Issue, follow the procedure already stipulated above under How to Check Your JAMB Admission Status.
- Click on the Admission Letter tab under Services.
- You will be required to make a payment of N1,000. Click on Continue to Payment.
- Click on Pay Now. Note that you will be deducted via the payment option you select (payment can be made via Remitta or MasterCard).
- After your payment is confirmed, you will be able to access your admission letter.
- Print your admission letter and file it for use when needed.
Proceed to make payment. Once payment is successful, the admission letter should be sent to your email.
NB: Don’t forget to check your admission status first before you proceed to print your admission letter.
Important Facts You Need to Know About Your JAMB Admission Letter
Initially, the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) had sole responsibility to determine who was admitted into any higher institution in Nigeria, but now, the schools actually have the final say on who gets admitted, and thus your chosen institution is the only place you can really get help whenever you have trouble with your admission.
JAMB does not have any other way to determine who is qualified for admission but through the schools who organize Post UTME screening tests. The admission lists on JAMB website are first approved by the schools. If you get the “no admission offered yet” response on JAMB website when your name has actually appeared on your school’s admission list, it’s simply because JAMB is yet to update their database with your details or due to some errors while processing your information which will definitely be sorted out through your school.
In the case of double admission (i.e. Candidates admitted into two different institutions), Such candidates need to reject the less preferred admission and accept the more preferred one by following the instructions supplied by the schools for such cases.
Many schools actually do not compulsorily ask for the admission letter printed from JAMB website before admitted candidates can be accepted to the school. Some schools even issue the admission letter themselves.
Therefore, if your name has already appeared on the admission list of your school of choice, it is okay to get to the school and follow the instructions outlined by the school authorities to accept your admission and proceed with your registration.
The JAMB admission letter is of course an important document but you shouldn’t be in a rush to get one to avoid falling into the hands of scammers. Only print the admission letter when you are requested to do so by your school, or if you have confirmed your admission status on the JAMB eFacility portal. Some schools request their students to pay a certain amount of money to process the admission letter and validate their admission even years after the admitted candidates have already matriculated.
In the case of students admitted through pre-degree and other related programs whose names never appeared on JAMB’s website, they may need to regularize their admission with JAMB by following the instructions provided at their school’s admission unit. JAMB is working towards reducing and if possible eliminating the need to regularize admission. This is one the major reasons behind the JAMB CAPS process.
Note: You can always get the JAMB admission letter anytime, even years after you were admitted and you can do it by yourself.