The authorities of National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN), in the spirit of Open and Distance Learning (ODL) and the flexibility that comes with the mode, has published the policy on deferment of examination(s). The deferment permits a temporary postponement of participation in examination.
NOUN Deferment of Examination Policy
The guidelines of the policy include and not limited to the following:
1) Owing to the peculiarities of the Open and Distance Learning system which gives room for flexibility, students are allowed to defer their examinations as long as the following conditions are met:
- Such students must have fully registered for the semester.
- Such students must have registered for the Examinations.
2) Application for deferment must be received before the start of Examinations.
3) All applications are to be endorsed and forwarded to the Registrar through the Study Centre Directors.
4) All applications should be backed with relevant documents and a desk officer in the Registry is assigned to check the authenticity of the documents.
5) Students whose applications are received and approved and who have paid examination registration fees before the examinations are not to pay registration fee for the same examinations when they are ready to take them.
6) A dedicated portal would be opened within the time frame of one month before the commencement of examinations for deferment cases.
7) The request for deferment attracts no fee.
8) Applications for deferment as a result of emergencies such as illness, accident, Death or serious illness of person in the immediate family or other person with whom the student has a similarly close relationship, which requires the student’s attention, etc shall be addressed at the discretion of the Management.
This policy takes effect from March 2015.
The University Community, all Deans, Directors of Academic Directorates and Directors of Study Centres are to please note this for further necessary action.(CampusportalNG)