Applications are invited for the 2023 The Nigeria Prize for Literature and Literary Criticism for Nigerians. NLNG Limited is delighted to be a part of this amazing opportunity.
Also See: NLNG Prize for Science
The Nigeria Prize for Literature is created to honour the author of the best book by a Nigerian within the last four years while the The Nigeria Prize for Literary Criticism is designed to honour the author of the best work.
March 31, 2023
Eligible Countries: Nigeria
Value of Award:
- The Nigeria Prize for Literature – USD $100,000
- The Nigeria Prize for Literary Criticism – N1 million
Literary Criticism Eligibility;
- Applicants must be literary critics from all over the world. Special considerations shall be given to critical essays on new writings in Nigerian Literature.
- Applicants shall send in three critical essays published in major scholarly journals. Such journals shall have a proven track record of dedication to excellence and must have international circulation.
- No critical essay previously submitted for this competition may be considered at a later date, even if major revisions of it have been made.
- Mere manuscripts will not be considered. Entries not submitted by the deadline and according to stated conditions shall not be considered.
- Only entries published in the year of the competition or within three years before then shall be considered.
- No member of the Advisory Board or Panel of Judges can enter their essay(s) for the literary criticism award in the year they are serving.
How to Apply NLNG Prize for Literature and Literary Criticism
Procedure for NLNG Prize for Literary Criticism:
- All applicants must submit their entries accompanied by an application form obtainable online from the NLNG website or by clicking link above
Procedure for NLNG Prize for Literature:
- All applicants must complete and submit their entries online via www.thenigeriaprizes.org. Applicants must also include websites where e-copies or their publications can be purchased.
- Twelve (12) copies of entry and an e-copy, with evidence of Nigerian citizenship (photocopy of Nigerian passport or National Identity Card), may be submitted either by author or publisher. Books should be submitted to Nigeria LNG Limited’s External Relations Division, promoters of the prize, by the stipulated deadline.
- No book published before January, 2018 will be accepted.
- An author will enter only one published work. Unpublished work will not be previously submitted for this competition may be re-submitted at a later date, even if major considered. No book revisions have been made or a new edition published. The prize will be awarded for no other reason than excellence.
- No member of the Advisory Board or Panel of Judges can enter their work(s) for the award in the period in which they are serving and two years thereafter. No entries will be entertained from members of NLNG staff and their families.
- Failure to meet all stated conditions above will lead to disqualification of the entry.
Interested and qualified applicants should send their entries to:
The Nigeria Prize for Literature,
External Relations Division,
Nigeria LNG Limited,
Corporate Head Officer
NLNG Road, Amadi Creek,
Port Harcourt, Rivers State.