The Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) at Kaduna is the only Military University in Nigeria. The vision of the NDA is to produce officers with broad-based training in both military and academic subjects designed to serve as a foundation for the future progressive development of officers of the Nigerian Armed Forces.
The mission of NDA is to provide each officer cadet with the knowledge, skills and values necessary to meet the requirements of a military officer through military,academic and character development.
History of NDA
The Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) was established on 5 February 1964 in response to the defence needs of independent Nigeria to train officers for the Armed Forces of Nigeria. Before then, the institution was known as the Royal Military Forces Training College (RMFTC). After independence in 1960, it became known as the Nigerian Military Training College.
The role of the Academy is to provide each officer cadet with knowledge, skills and values necessary to meet the requirements of a military officer through military, academic and character development. In essence, the NDA is an institution where selected young able-bodied men and women are groomed into well educated, courageous, virile and erudite subalterns.
The military institution trains the officer corps of the Nigerian Army, Navy and Air Force. The initial class was only 62 cadets, and trainers were mostly officers in the Indian Army. The NDA grew to an all Nigerian training staff only in 1978. In 1981 itself began training bilateral training of foreign militaries.
In 1985 the academy commenced offering undergraduate programmes to Military Officers In Training and now also currently offers post graduate studies both for Msc and Ph.D for both military and civilian students alike. The central mission remains the five year cadet officer training “Regular Combatant Course“, although from 2002, a four-year military programme is also offered. As of 2008, its total cadet class is around 1500.
NDA Academic Programmes
DEPARTMENTS IN FASS
The Faculty is organized as follows:
• Department of Accounting
• Department of Economics
• Department of Geography
• Department of General Studies.
• Department of History and International Studies;
• Department of Languages,
• Department of Political Science and Defence Studies, and
• Department of Psychology
At present, FASS is made up of Eight Departments each headed by a Head assisted by a team of administrative staff.
The Departments are as follows:
• Department of Accounting – Dr T Nyor
• Department of Economics – Dr ZS Saheed
• Department of Geography – Dr BJ Ajibuah
• Department of General Studies – Assoc Prof AA Kwasau
• Department of History and International Studies – Col (Dr) S Ibrahim
• Department of Languages – Dr (Mrs) RC Gandu
• Department of Political Science and Defence Studies – Assoc Prof UA Tar
• Department of Psychology – Air Cdre (rtd) (Dr) PA Agashua
The Departments are generally well staffed for the programmes they run. The Faculty has a Faculty Library and Departmental Libraries which staff, cadets, and students can use for teaching and learning beside the facilities in the Academy Library.
NDA 68TH REGULAR COURSE ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS.
The requirements for various undergraduate degree programmes are as detailed in the NDA website / applications portal, as well as in the JAMB Brochure and website. All other information concerning degree courses, eligibility and examination centres are as contained in the NDA website / applications portal.
1. To be eligible for admission into the Nigerian Defence Academy, a candidate must have the following:
- Minimum of 5 Credit passes at SSCE (WAEC or NECO or NABTEB) or GCE O/L obtained in not more than 2 sittings relevant to the Faculty of their choices.
- Credit in English Language and Mathematics.
- At least one supporting relevant credit to the compulsory credits in faculty of Arts and Social Sciences and Faculty of Science. However, only one supporting relevant credit is required in the Faculty of Engineering.
- Be at least 17 years old and not more than 21 years old at the time of entry into the Academy. Note that Nigerian Airforce candidates must be between 17 and 18years old at entry.
- Must not be less than 1.68 metres tall for male and 1.50 metres for female.
- Must be medically and physically fit and must be of good moral character.
- Must be single male or female without legal obligation to support any child or other individuals.
- Present a Certificate of Origin obtained from a Local Government Area and a Certificate of State indigene ship from the Office of the State Governor is desirable.
2. Furthermore, candidates are to note the following:
- Awaiting results are not qualified. Results not submitted with the application for will not be accepted.
- Only examination results of 5 years from date will be accepted.
- Currently, admission into the academy is for both male and female Nigerians only.
NDA 68TH Regular Course Method of Application
Candidates should logon to the application portal www.ndaapplications.net. select “Purchase Access Code” and fill in their details to pay for their application via REMITA after first obtaining their ORDER ID and REMITA Retrieval Reference (RRR) Code in the sum of N3,000.00 only. Please note that only payment against RRR Codes generated via the application portal would be accepted.
Interested candidates are advised to go online and complete the application on the websites indicated above. Please download and read carefully, the Instructions provided on the website. Applicants applying for admission into NDA MUST also apply to the Joint Admissions and Matriculations Board (JAMB), but may not necessarily select NDA as their choice of university. Such applicants are expected to sit for the JAMB Universal Tertiary Matriculation Examinations (UTME).
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
Applications should be submitted online. On completion of the online application, candidates are to download an Acknowledgement Form. Upon release of the JAMB results, candidates should return to the applications portal and download their Examination Admission Card. Only candidates who make the JAMB national cut-off mark will be allowed to participate in the NDA Entrance Examination.
The requirements for various undergraduate degree programmes are as detailed in the NDA website/applications portal. All other information concerning degree courses, eligibility and examination centres are as contained in the NDA website / applications portal.
Only candidates who meet the JAMB national cutoff mark will be eligible to sit for the NDA Entrance Examination at their Examination Centre of choice.
The examination will be conducted as an Entrance Examination (similar to Post-UTME examination in conventional universities), and is scheduled to hold on Saturday 23 April 2016. Therefore, all eligible candidates are to bring along their Acknowledgement Form, Examination Admission Card, JAMB result slip and TWO (2) postcard sized (3.5 x 5 inches) photographs to the Examination Centre on the examination date. The photographs should show only from the chest upwards and should contain the candidate’s Name, Exam number, State, Exam Centre, Course of study and Signature at the back. Only successful candidates at the NDA Entrance Examination will subsequently be invited for the Armed Forces Selection Board following which the list of admitted candidates will be published.
NATURE AND DURATION OF TRAINING
Admitted candidates into NDA for the Regular Course will undergo military and academic training as Officer Cadets for a duration of 5 years. On successful completion of training, graduands will earn a honours degree in a core discipline (BSc, BEng, BA). They will equally earn a commission into the Armed Forces of Nigeria.
Regular Course cadets will train in NDA. All aspects of the cadets’ administration and logistics will be borne by the Federal Government.
In response to requests from candidates for reference materials, the Academy has offered a Compendium of Past Questions & Answers at a token fee to interested candidates. This can be purchased from the Registry Department, NDA.
Application Portal: www.ndaapplications.net
Pls i really want to be NDA candidate i need help on that pls. this my contact 08163685203