Latest: JAMB Hands Over More 200 Candidates To Police For Prosecution Over UTME Exam Malpractice
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has handed more candidates over to the police for prosecution over alleged involvement in various examination malpractices. Last week, JAMB released the names of 149 candidates with Imo, Anambra and Enugu states topping the list with 26, 12 and 12 candidates respectively.
Meanwhile, the number of suspects has risen to 195 with Imo, Anambra, Enugu, Kano and Kaduna states leading with 28, 16, 15, 15 and 15 cases respectively.
The offenses listed against the candidates included; examination by proxy, attempt to cheat, forceful entrance, tampering with examination documents, smuggling of mobile phones into the examination halls among others.
Other states on the list of malpractices included; Abia, Adamawa, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Kwara, Ondo, Oyo, and Osun.
The JAMB Head of Media, Dr Fabian Benjamin, said in an interview with our correspondent that the arrested candidates were with the police and arraignment had started.
He said, “They (the candidates) are with the police. So the police will prosecute them. We don’t have prosecuting powers. When the police start prosecution, they certainly get across to us. Most of them have even been arraigned. When the arraignment is concluded, we will give you a comprehensive report. When we get to a stage that is important for everyone to know, we will let you know. But some of them have already been arraigned by the police.”
“As part of its tradition, the board would not hesitate to withdraw the results of candidates found to have perpetrated any form of examination malpractice,” JAMB said.
Earlier: JAMB Hands Over More UTME Candidates to the Police Over Exam Malpractice
- Earlier: JAMB Hands Over More UTME Candidates to the Police Over Exam Malpractice
- Earlier: JAMB Hands Over 180 Candidates To Police For Prosecution Over UTME Exam Malpractice
- Earlier: Candidates Involved In UTME Exam Malpractice Will Forfeit Results – JAMB
- Earlier: JAMB Releases Names of Candidates Involved in Exam UTME Malpractice
- Earlier: Arrest 149 Candidates For UTME Exam Malpractice
- Earlier: 5 Persons Have Been Convicted Over UTME Exam Malpractices – JAMB Says
- Earlier: JAMB Delists 76 CBT Centres Involved in UTME Examination Malpractices, Appoints SAN to Prosecute Suspects
- Earlier: JAMB to Investigate Exam Malpractice for All UTME Candidates from 2009-2019
- Earlier: JAMB Apprehends “Ghost Writer” Who Intended to Write UTME for 64 Candidates, Cancel Results in Abia
- Earlier: Children of Lagos CBT Centre Owner Arrested Over UTME Exam Malpractice – JAMB
- Earlier: JAMB Partners Security Agencies on Cyber Crime to Eliminate UTME Exam Malpractices
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has just released an updated list of Names of candidates involved in Exam Malpractice for 2020 UTME.
The updated list now contains 195 candidates, whose names have been published. As time goes on, we believe this list will continue to grow as JAMB continues to review CCTV footages in all CBT centres from where the exams held.
If your name is on this list, then your result will be most likely withheld. See the list below;
Earlier: JAMB Hands Over 180 Candidates To Police For Prosecution Over UTME Exam Malpractice
The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has handed about 180 candidates in the just concluded Unified Tertiary Matriculations Examination to the police for prosecution over alleged involvement in various forms examination malpractices. This was disclosed by the JAMB’s Head of Media and Information, Dr. Fabian Benjamin is in an interview on Thursday in Abuja.
According to him, 70 percent of the candidates have been arraigned by the police in various courts while others were still undergoing further investigation and would also face trial.
Dr. Benjamin said the candidates were arrested across the country during the conduct of the examination that ended last Saturday.
He said: “They are about 180 candidates. We arrested them all over the country. We are harmonising the list and following up on it to ensure that all of them are arraigned.
“Most of them have been arraigned already. 70 per cent of them have been arraigned already.
“They (the candidates) are with the police. So the police will prosecute them. We don’t have prosecuting powers. When the police start prosecution, they certainly get across to us.
“Most of them have even been arraigned. When the arraignment is concluded, we will give you a comprehensive report.
“When we get to a stage that is important for everyone to know, we will let you know. But some of them have already been arraigned by the police.”
Earlier: Candidates Involved In UTME Exam Malpractice Will Forfeit Results – JAMB
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has disclosed that the board is currently reviewing the Closed Circuit Television footage of its centres nationwide to discover possible cases of examination misconduct during the 2020 Unified Tertiary Matriculations Examination and not hesitate to release more names of offenders after reviewing the CCTV footage.
The board also stated that as part of its tradition results of candidates found to have perpetrated any form of examination malpractice will be withdrawn.
Already, about 149 candidates were caught for various examination malpractices in the 2020 UTME which ended on Sunday, March 22.
JAMB published the names and states of the 149 candidates in its weekly bulletin with Imo, Anambra and Enugu States topping the list with varying offenses including examination by proxy, attempt to cheat, forceful entrance, tampering with examination documents, smuggling of mobile phones into the examination halls, among others.
Earlier: JAMB Releases Names of Candidates Involved in Exam UTME Malpractice
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has released the names of candidates that have been caught so far, to have engaged in examination malpractice.
Since these were the only number of candidates reported to JAMB, the board has put a statement forward saying the examination malpractice is on the decline in the country. You can find the names of these candidates, their state of centre, and the misconduct reported against them in the PDF attached to this post below;
Earlier: Arrest 149 Candidates For UTME Exam Malpractice
Not less than 149 JAMB candidates have been arrested for perpetuating various exams malpractice related fraud in the 2020 examination year.
It was gathered that, states like Imo, Anambra and Enugu topped the list with 26, 12 and 12 candidates respectively. They were arrested for offences bothering on; examination by proxy, attempt to cheat, forceful entrance, tampering with examination documents, smuggling of mobile phones into the examination halls among others.
Other states on the list included; Abia, Adamawa, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Kwara, Ondo, Oyo, and Osun.
The examination board however maintained that, violation of UTME rules is declining with the 2020 experience.
It is worthy to note that, the 2020 UTME was concluded in most states on Thursday, March 19. Also, 10 other states completed on Saturday, March 21, while Bayelsa with only four approved CBT centers completed its examination on Sunday after a number of the centres were been delisted for one infraction or the other.
Earlier: 5 Persons Have Been Convicted Over UTME Exam Malpractices – JAMB Says
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) stated in its weekly bulletin that five persons who were involved in one form of examination malpractice of the other in the just concluded 2019 UTME have been convicted. The board expressed its pride in the judiciary and urged it to continue to ensure that all suspects accused with sufficient facts are convicted.
As disclosed by the board, three of the convicted offenders are from Zamfara State, and the other two are from Kebbi State. It stated that the conviction of the offenders has put an end to empty talks in the fight against examination malpractice. The board urged the public to join and strengthen the fight against infractions and lay a solid foundation for the Nigerian tertiary education.
The board reconfirmed the arrest of elements who attempted to undermine the registration process to disrupt the conduct of the examination, and disclosed that no fewer than 123 suspects are standing trial in various courts for different infractions. The Board said it had deregistered over 73 CBT centres as a result of these infractions.
Earlier: JAMB Delists 76 CBT Centres Involved in UTME Examination Malpractices, Appoints SAN to Prosecute Suspects
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has disclosed that about 76 Computer Based centres have been delisted following their involvement in various irregularities and Malpractice in the recently concluded Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, raising fears that results from those centres may be cancelled.
The Registrar of JAMB Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, disclosed this on Friday in Abuja while speaking on ‘Admissions into tertiary educational institutions in Nigeria’ at the 23rd annual seminar of the Nigerian Academy of Education
Concerning when the 2019 UTME Results will be released, Oloyede did not give any day the 2019 UTME results would be released.
He equally stated that the board has appointed a Senior Advocate of Nigeria to prosecute about 100 persons allegedly involved in various malpractices during the UTME that held between April 11 and 18. He, however, did not mention the name of the SAN leading the prosecution reportedly for security reasons.
Oloyede, narrated how some of the malpractices their Closed Circuit Television Cameras caught exam cheats in some CBT centres, saying professional writers hid in toilets and later replaced the UTME candidates who pretended they went to the toilet to ease themselves.
Oloyede further revealed that the outcome of its probe into examination fraud between 2009 and 2019 will shock many Nigerians as there are many highly placed politicians in Nigerians who did not take the UTME exam by themselves.
Oloyede said although the board may not be able to punish the culprits because they have already left the system, it would go ahead to publish their names in order to shame them.
Earlier: JAMB to Investigate Exam Malpractice for All UTME Candidates from 2009-2019
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has launched an investigation into the credentials of applicants dating back to 2009. This means that every single candidate who took UTME within the last 10 years will be scrutinized. Persons who cheated the system successfully, and went on to secure admission and may have even graduated will face prosecution and their certificates will be withdrawn.
This was disclosed by JAMB’s Head of Media and Information, Fabian Benjamin, during an interview with Punch on Monday. He said the probe had begun and it would be completed in a short time as JAMB had acquired software to identify fake biometric data.
Benjamin said, “If you graduated from university and you did not take UTME, it means the foundation is faulty and the building cannot stand. We have already started the probe but we will go deeper after the exams.”
“It will not take too long. We are using software, so it will just check the biometric data of candidates and if the biometric data of someone shows about six different names, then it will notify us. So, if one person’s photo brings up different names and we have spotted this, we will find out where the person is and then we will pick them up.”
Speaking in a separate interview on 95.1 Nigeria Info FM Abuja, the JAMB spokesman said,
“We want to do what we call biometric verification dating 10 years back. Even if you are now working and we discovered that someone wrote exams for you, we will publish your name and the law agencies will do the needful. We have the biometric data from 10 years ago. We will compare the photos with thumbprints and names. We discovered that a candidate could have taken exams with 30 different names.”
The JAMB spokesman said it had become important to expose exam cheats to serve as a deterrent to others. He said the photos of those found culpable would be published for all to see even if they were now working class persons.
Earlier: JAMB Apprehends “Ghost Writer” Who Intended to Write UTME for 64 Candidates, Cancel Results in Abia
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says it apprehended an individual it described as a “notorious cheat” who had registered for the UTME 64 times, with the intention of writing the examination for 64 candidates.
The board revealed that no fewer than 100 culprits had been nabbed by security operatives across Nigeria during the just concluded UTME, and malpractice was prevalent in virtually all the states of the federation, including Abuja.
In its Weekly Bulletin released in Abuja on Monday by its spokesperson, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, JAMB said the fraudsters engaged in multiple registrations to enable impersonation during the examination.
The board said the arrest of the culprits was made possible by the thorough and mandatory identity checks conducted on candidates, with the aim of fishing out professional ghost writers before the release of the results.
Also, the board disclosed that it had cancelled the results of two Computer Based Test centres, Heritage and Infinity CBT centre, and Okwyzil Computer Institute Comprehensive School, Ugwunabo, in Abia State, over what it described as “widespread irregularities” during the UTME. It said that all the results of the examination sessions conducted by the Board in the two centres from April 11 to 18 were null and void.
Regarding the cancellation, the board had this to say to innocent candidates affected, “However, in order not to unduly punish honest and hardworking candidates who found themselves attached to these two centres, the board magnanimously relocated all the candidates who had taken or were scheduled to take their examination in the two centres to other centres where they subsequently took their examinations.”
Earlier: Children of Lagos CBT Centre Owner Arrested Over UTME Exam Malpractice – JAMB
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has disclosed that two biological children of an accredited Computer Based Test (CBT) centre owner in Lagos have been arrested, over alleged examination malpractice.
Reports state that the arrest was made during a monitoring tour of various CBT centres in Lagos State on Tuesday by the board’s Registrar, Prof. Is’haq Oloyede.
The arrested children were said to have been caught using their mobile phones to take pictures of questions of the ongoing Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), with the aim of compiling them and forwarding them to some tutorial centres which, in turn, would use the questions to defraud prospective candidates.
Regarding the arrest, the Registrar said, “Unfortunately they are not aware that we are ahead of them. We have put in place, cutting edge technologies that expose fraudulent practices intended to undermine the integrity of our examination.
“What they did here was to deliberately disconnect the CCTV, thinking that we would not be able to track whatever happened here through our central CCTV in Abuja”.
“One thing these fraudsters failed to understand is that we do not repeat questions used as far back as four or five years ago, let alone using them for any of the four sessions we deploy per day. These questions have been standardised and so they can never be the same.”
The Registrar disclosed that the centre would seize to continue with the board’s examination with immediate effect, based on this crime. He said that all candidates previously scheduled to sit for the examination in the centre would immediately be moved to another one.
“No one will be allowed to write the examination here again, because the centre in the first place, is not conducive for the test,” he added.
Earlier: JAMB Partners Security Agencies on Cyber Crime to Eliminate UTME Exam Malpractices
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has partnered security operatives and agencies to fight cyber crimes and eliminate modern cheating methods used by fraudulent candidates sitting for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination.
Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, the JAMB Registrar, announced the partnership at a stakeholders’ meeting in Abuja on Monday where he said the board also moved some key services to its registration portal to prevent commercial banks and cyber cafes from extorting money from candidates.
Oloyede mentioned several problems the board is tackling, which he said was created by fraudulent Computer-Based Test centres include impersonation, attempts on cloning of registration of sim cards, illegal extension of registration points etc.
Oloyede stated that the way forward was by partnering security operatives and relevant agencies on cyber crimes. He said “We are engaging technocrats and tapping from their knowledge. We are also moving some key services to the registration portal in order to prevent extortion of candidates.