IMSU Academic calendar for 1st and 2nd semester is out for the 2019/2020 session. See breakdown of IMSU academic calendar below.
Imo State University Academic Calendar for the Harmattan Semester of the 2019/2020 Session has been published. According to the academic calendar, academic activities for the 2019/2020 session will end on 14th August, 2020.
The break down of the academic activities is captured below;
IMSU 1st Semester Academic Calendar
- Resumption Date: Monday 28th October, 2019
- Weeks of lectures: Monday 28th October, 2019 – Friday 7th February, 2020 (15 weeks)
- Orientation of Fresh Students: Monday 3rd February, 2020 – Tuesday 4th February, 2020 (2 days)
- Matriculation: Wednesday 5th February, 2020
- Revision: Monday 10th February, 2020 – Friday 14th February, 2020
- Examination: Monday 17th February, 2020 – Friday 6th March, 2020
- First Semester Break: Monday 7th March to Friday 20th March, 2020 (2 Weeks)
- Resumption Date: Monday 23rd March, 2020
- Weeks of lectures: Monday 23rd March, 2020 – Friday 10th July, 2020 (15 Weeks)
- Revision: Monday 13th July, 2020 – Friday 17th July, 2020 (1 Week)
- Examination: Monday 20th July, 2020 – Friday 14th August, 2020 (3 Weeks)
- Second Semester Break: Saturday 15th August, 2020 to Saturday 12th September, 2020 (5 Weeks)
A BRIEF HISTORY OF IMO STATE UNIVERSITY
The university was established in 1981 through Law No. 4 passed by the Imo State House of Assembly, Owerri.
This was amended by Edict 27 of 1985, another in 1986 and finally for the relocation by the Law No. 2 of 1992. Academic activities commenced at the temporary site located at the former Madonna High School, Ihitte, with Professor M. J. C. Echeruo as its First Vice-Chancellor.
The decision to establish a State University arose when the absence of a Federal University was greatly left by the people of Imo State whose major industry is education.
The State had so many qualified candidates who could not be admitted by the existing Universities.
The Government of Imo State under Chief Sam Mbakwe sought for and obtained the approval of the Federal Government for the establishment of Imo State University as a Liberal Studies tertiary institution in the State.