A school of thought believes ‘it doesn’t matter what you study, just get a good grade and jobs will find you out’. The other believes the only courses worth studying are ‘professional courses’. Now, if you have to know my own view on this, I will gladly go for the first school of thought. To back my reason for choosing the first school of thought, let me ask a question: how many professionals from these professional courses are graduated every year from all the tertiary institutions in Nigerian and still looking for employment? The answer to this question will be so discouraging for those who still believe that the only courses worth studying are ‘professional courses’. We still have graduates from these professional courses being the ones most unemployed due to the competitions they face both inside and outside school (labor market).
Note: This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t go for the professional courses, even I; I’m studying a professional course. But all I am trying to say is that, if gaining admission by all means without getting involved in examination malpractice is what you seek, then you should forget about the professional courses due to their high competitiveness. Alternatively, another way to get admitted to a professional course is to apply to a less competitive school that offers that professional course you chose.
From the images above, you can see clearly the institutions with the highest competition. What I mean by competition here, is the amount of applicants for a particular institution. Now, you can use the data presented above to decide on the institutions to apply to.
Below is a list that shows the top ten (10) most competitive first choice universities in Nigeria:
University – Number of Applicants (Competition)
1. UNILAG – 84,326
2. NAU – 82,384
3. UNIBEN – 80,216
4. UNN – 79,842
5. UNILORIN – 78,265
6. OAU – 65,653
7. ABU – 60,691
8. UNIPORT – 48,850
9. UNIUYO – 45,851
10. EVANS – 43,503
Below Are Top Ten (10) Most Competitive First Choice Polytechnics with Highest Patronage
NEKEDE, YABA, AUCHI, OKO, KADUNA, RIVERS, IBADAN, NASARAWA, AKWAIBOM, KWARA
Below Are Top Ten (10) Most Competitive First Choice Colleges of Education with Highest Patronage
ALVAN-IKOKU, ADEYEMI, ADENIRAN, AKOKA, PH, ZARIA, AKWA-IBOM, ZUBA, EKIADOLO, NSUGBE
2012 Application by Course: Top 14 Courses with Highest Patronage
1. Med. & Surgery – 116,037
2. Accounting – 101,877
3. Economics – 98,967
4. Law – 87,385
5. Business Admin – 82,551
6. Mass Comm. – 69,836
7. Political Sci. – 69,047
8. Computer Sci. – 67,996
9. Microbiology – 47,097
10. Biochemistry – 37,318
11. Nursing – N/A
12. Pharmacy – N/A
13. Mechanical – 32,493
14. Civil Engineering – 32,223
Now, you have seen the various most competitive courses and tertiary institutions in Nigeria, so, let us now see the guidelines to follow in other to get easy admission in Nigeria.
Guidelines to Easy Admission in Nigeria
1. Only apply to less competitive courses.
2. Only apply to less competitive tertiary institutions (no too much applicants).
3. Don’t apply for a professional course, but if you have to apply for a professional course, then you should go for a less competitive tertiary institution that offers this professional course.
4. Don’t apply to any of the top ten (10) most competitive first choice institutions above, but if you have to apply to one of these top ten (10) most competitive first choice institutions, then you have to go for a very less competitive course e.g. Education and Agriculture courses.
5. Don’t apply to any of the top 14 Courses with highest patronage above, but if you have to apply to any of these courses, then you have to go for a very less competitive tertiary institution where that course is offered.
Referenced Material – Admission Secrets EBook by Chijioke E. Okolo
You can download the Free JAMB Success Secrets EBook by Clicking Here