The management of Bayero University Kano (BUK) has released the dress code rules and regulations for all students of the varsity.
In line with the University’s role of training students in both character and learning, all students should dress decently in accordance/compliance with the Bayero University, Kano Dress Code.
Accordingly, the acceptable and decent dress is any type of dress worn by a student, that covers the body from the top of the shoulders to midway between the knee and the ankle, and it must not be tight-fitting or transparent.
Specifically, the dress code forbids indecent dressing such as:
- Short, bareback and clinging dress
- Shorts and three-quarter trousers (except for sporting purpose)
- Tattered jeans and those with holes
- Transparent dresses
- Tight-fitting dresses e.g. jeans and skirts that reveal body curves; this is also applicable to locally sewn dresses such as skirts and blouses
- Wearing only under clothing such as singlet in public places
- Wearing “Swagger” and/or Sagging trousers
- Dresses, such as skirts, which have long slits that reveal sensitive body parts
- Dresses and vests with obscene and indecent inscriptions and/or pictures
- Dress without buttons, or not properly buttoned, revealing bare chest
- Wearing jackboots, bathroom slippers and any other shoes with indecent inscription
- Sunglasses in lecture rooms and theaters except on medical grounds
- Plaiting/weaving, perming of hair and use of earrings and chain and bracelets by male students.
- Use of military and para-military camouflage by students on campus
- Any other dressing that contravenes, decency, decorum and good taste of the community.
Students should note that these prohibitions apply everywhere on the campuses. In addition, students are bound by the specific dress code of their Faculties, Departments or Professional callings.
Offenders will be Sanctioned as Appropriate.