About the Scholarship
DAAD cooperates with the West Africa Centre for Crop Improvement (WACCI) by offering up to 3 In-Country and 6 In-Region scholarships for Master studies at the West Africa Centre for Crop Improvement (WACCI) for the intake 2021. The programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development.
17th February 2022
Number of Awards:
Value of Award:
The scholarship covers:
- Tuition fees* annually
- Study and research allowance annually
- Printing allowance once at the end
- Monthly Scholarship (Accommodation, Food etc.)
- monthly 500 EUR (PhD In-Country)
- 550 EUR (PhD In-Region)
- Travel allowance (In-Region only): twice (beginning/end of scholarship)
- Health insurance(In-Region only)
- have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) (at least: Second Class/Upper Division)
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- have a thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have generally completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Saharan African country
- should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector, d) Alumni of the DAFI programme
- Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Mode of Application: WACCI Plant Breeding Scholarship
- Applicants must apply for their studies at West Africa Centre for Crop Improvement (WACCI) using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution. West Africa Centre for Crop Improvement (WACCI) has set its own deadlines. Additionally, once you submit your application to West Africa Centre for Crop Improvement (WACCI), please send a short notification to DAAD that you have applied with the subject “Your Surname_First name_ WACCI” to the email address of the DAAD contact person given below.
- West Africa Centre for Crop improvement (WACCI) will provide the shortlisted candidates with the link to the DAAD-Portal. Only the pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal, register themselves and submit an DAAD application. DAAD Deadline: 17th February 2022.
Mandatory Documents to be submitted (in either English or German) for the DAAD scholarship application:
• DAAD application form duly filled in (available in the DAAD-Portal)
• Curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen form at http://europass.cedefop. Europa.eu), including a list of publications (if applicable).
• Recommendation letter by university teachers/lecturers (this can be subsequently submitted before the scholarship begins if it is not available at the time of application due to the COVID 19 pandemic (Exception is valid only for the year 2021))
• Letter of admission for the host university/institution/network (this can be subsequently submitted before the scholarship begins if it is not available at the time of application)
• Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts (if available, including a grading scale for the final university grade)
• Letter of motivation
• Copy of the passport (if applicable) or National Identification Card
• If applicable, information on the UNHCR registration as a refugee
• Only for research-based Master programmes:
- a timetable (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
- Only for course-based Master programmes: