Applications are currently ongoing for the Vanier Canadian Graduate Scholarship for Doctoral Study in Canadian Universities/2020. Interested students should see the details below.
Vanier Canadian Graduate Scholarship Details and FAQs
- Vanier Canadian Graduate Scholarship Details and FAQs
- When is the application deadline?
- Is the scholarship/opportunity offered annually?
- Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
- What is the host country?
- What are the areas of research?
- What is the category of this opportunity?
- How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
- What are the selection criteria?
- What is the value and duration?
- How many scholarships are available?
- How to Apply for the Vanier Canadian Graduate Scholarship
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS) was created to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and to brand Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning. VCS supports students who demonstrate both leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and engineering, and health. The scholarship is worth $50,000 per year for three years and is available to both Canadian and international PhD students studying at Canadian universities.
Information for nominating institutions: Nominating institutions are encouraged to consider diversity in discipline, gender, official language, and citizenship when considering which applicants to nominate for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program.
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS) program helps Canadian institutions attract highly qualified doctoral students.
When is the application deadline?
31st October, 2018 20:00 EDT
Is the scholarship/opportunity offered annually?
Yes, it is
Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
What is the host country?
What are the areas of research?
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering research
- Social sciences and humanities research
What is the category of this opportunity?
How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
Open to Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign students pursuing a doctoral degree at eligible Canadian universities
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, candidate must:
- be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
- be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2019;
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
- must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
Eligibility Criteria for Degree Programs:
- Doctoral awards are tenable only in degree programs that have a significant research component. The research component must be a requirement for completion of the program, and is considered to be significant original, autonomous research that leads to the completion of a dissertation, major scholarly publication, performance, recital and/or exhibit that is merit reviewed at the institutional level. Clinically-oriented programs of study, including clinical psychology, are also eligible programs if they have a significant research component, as described above.
What are the selection criteria?
- Academic excellence, as demonstrated by past academic results and by transcripts, awards and distinctions.
- Research potential, as demonstrated by the candidates research history, his/her interest in discovery, the proposed research and its potential contribution to the advancement of knowledge in the field, the potential benefit to Canadians, and any anticipated outcomes.
- Leadership (potential and demonstrated ability), as defined by the following qualities:
- Personal Achievement:
- Involvement in Academic Life:
- Volunteerism/community outreach:
- Civic engagement:
What is the value and duration?
$50,000 annually for three years.
How many scholarships are available?
Up to 166 scholarships are awarded annually.
How to Apply for the Vanier Canadian Graduate Scholarship
Candidates must be nominated by the university at which they want to study. Candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier CGS program.
It is important to go through the Application requirements in the Scholarship Webpage before applying.