Applications are currently ongoing for the Lester B. Pearson Scholarship Program for International Students at University of Toronto. Interested students should see the details below.
Lester B. Pearson Scholarship Details and FAQs
The University of Toronto (U of T, UToronto, or Toronto) is a public research university in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on the grounds that surround Queen’s Park. It was founded by royal charter in 1827 as King’s College, the first institution of higher learning in the colony of Upper Canada. Originally controlled by the Church of England, the university assumed the present name in 1850 upon becoming a secular institution. As a collegiate university, it comprises twelve colleges, which differ in character and history, each with substantial autonomy on financial and institutional affairs. It has two satellite campuses in Scarborough and Mississauga.
The Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program at the University of Toronto is intended to recognize international students who demonstrate exceptional academic achievement and creativity and who are recognized as leaders within their school. A special emphasis is placed on the impact the student has had on the life of their school and community, and their future potential to contribute positively to the global community.
Awarded annually, these scholarships recognize outstanding students from around the world, including international students studying at Canadian high schools. This is U of T’s most prestigious and competitive scholarship for international students. Each year approximately 37 students will be named Lester B. Pearson Scholars.
Applications for the Lester B. Pearson Scholarship are now open. Become a Pearson scholar.
When is the application deadline?
- School Nomination deadline: 30th November, 2018;
- Student OUAC application deadline: 17th December, 2018 (however, it is recommended you apply for admission through the OUAC before November 1, 2018 as spaces in programs fill-up quickly and popular programs may close early.)
- Student scholarship application deadline: 15th January 2019
Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
In which host country will the awardees be studying?
University of Toronto, Canada
What is the category of this opportunity?
How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
An international student nominated by their school will be invited to submit an application to the Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship program.
An eligible candidate is:
- an international student (i.e. a non-Canadian requiring a study permit)
- an original and creative thinker
- committed to school and community
- a high achiever in academic and creative pursuits
- enthusiastic about learning and intellectual exploration
- have demonstrated strong leadership skills
- currently in their final year of secondary school or have graduated no earlier than June 2018
- intending to begin university in the upcoming academic year (students already attending post-secondary studies cannot be considered; students starting their studies in January 2019 at another post-secondary institution cannot be considered)
How many scholarship awards are available?
Up to 37
What are the benefits of the award?
The Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships will cover tuition, books, incidental fees, and full residence support.
What is the duration of the program?
How to Apply for the University of Toronto Lester B. Pearson Scholarship
To apply, you’ll need to:
- Receive a nomination from your school. (High schools not already contacted/verified are asked to submit an application to participate in our program which can be accessed within the main Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship webpage starting here.)
- Apply to study at the University of Toronto to begin your studies in 2019 and complete your application for admission by the appropriate deadlines.
- Once we’ve received a nomination and you’ve applied to the university, you can complete the online Lester B. Pearson Scholarship application.