Applications are currently ongoing for the 2018 University of Pretoria MasterCard Scholarship for Undergraduate and Masters. Interested African students should see details below.
- Scholarship Description
- When is the application deadline?
- Is the scholarship/opportunity offered annually?
- Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
- In which host country will I be studying?
- What are the fields of study?
- What is the category of this opportunity?
- How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
- What are the selection criteria?
- How many scholarship awards are available?
- What are the benefits of the scholarship?
- What is the duration of the scholarship?
- How to Apply for the University of Pretoria MasterCard Scholarship
The MasterCard Foundation offers a full scholarship to students who have applied for and been admitted to one of the following undergraduate study programmes at the University of Pretoria.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) targets academically qualified, yet economically disadvantaged young people in South Africa, SADC and the rest of Africa, who will contribute to the transformation of the continent. Community service is a necessary component of the Program with all students giving back to disadvantaged communities.
The University of Pretoria is a multi-campus public research university in Pretoria, the administrative and de facto capital of South Africa. University of Pretoria is 1 of the top research institutions in Africa and their mission is to be an internationally recognised teaching & research university.
When is the application deadline?
15th September 2018
Is the scholarship/opportunity offered annually?
Yes, it is.
Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
Sub-Saharan African countries
In which host country will I be studying?
South Africa, if awarded the scholarship
What are the fields of study?
Faculty of Engineering
- BEng (Industrial Engineering)
- BEng (Chemical Engineering)
- BEng (Civil Engineering)
- BEng (Electrical Engineering)
- BEng (Electronic Engineering)
- BEng (Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering)
- BEng (Mining Engineering)
- BEng (Computer Engineering)
Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
- BCom (Accounting Science)
- BCom (Financial Science)
- BCom (Economics)
- BCom (Informatics)
- BCom (Agribusiness Management)
Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
- BScAgric (Food Science and Technology)
- BScAgric (Agricultural Economics/Agribusiness Management)
- BScAgric (Animal Science)
- BScAgric (Plant Pathology)
- BScAgric (Applied Plant and Soil Sciences)
Postgraduate Study Programmes:
Master’s degree applicants in the above-mentioned fields may also apply.
Honour’s candidates will be considered if they are prepared to commit to continuing to a Master’s degree.
What is the category of this opportunity?
Undergraduate and Masters (Taught)
How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
- Candidates should be citizens from Sub-Saharan African country.
- Applicants should come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and demonstrate financial neediness.
- Candidates should demonstrate leadership potential and ought to be involved in a giving back project eg. in a community, at school, church etc
- Academic excellence is paramount and students have to maintain a high academic average at all times.
- Candidates need to be first time applicants as first year students in the degree programme
What are the selection criteria?
The identified scholars need to demonstrate a commitment to making a difference in their communities, having faced significant barriers to accessing and completing quality tertiary education. The Program provides a comprehensive scholarship, mentoring and counseling, academic support and access to work readiness skills.
How many scholarship awards are available?
Several scholarships are available.
What are the benefits of the scholarship?
The Program will cover the following:
- Full tuition fees
- Accommodation in a UP residence
- Books and printed material
- A modest monthly stipend
- Medical aid (Ingwe only)
- Travel costs (one return trip for the duration of the study period)
- Cost of one visa application for the duration of the study period.
What is the duration of the scholarship?
Period of degree
How to Apply for the University of Pretoria MasterCard Scholarship
All potential MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) applicants for academic year 2018 have to apply at the respective faculty FIRST before applying for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program. Once your application has been approved then you may apply for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program.
No MCFSP applications will be considered if you have not applied at the faculty first.
Students who are interested in studies at the University of Pretoria and wish to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program must follow the application process in the Scholarship webpage (Link below)