University of Ghana Scholarship Invitation: Applications are currently ongoing for the DAAD: University of Ghana Soil Science Scholarship Programme for African Students. Interested students can see the details and apply if eligible.
University of Ghana Soil Science Scholarship Details and FAQs
- University of Ghana Soil Science Scholarship Details and FAQs
- When is the application deadline?
- Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
- In which host country will the awardees be studying?
- What is the category of this opportunity?
- How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
- How many scholarship awards are available?
- What are the benefits of the award?
- What is the duration of the programme?
- How to Apply for the University of Ghana Soil Science Scholarship
The programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and / or
research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
By training future academic and professional leaders, the programme contributes to the following long-term impacts:
• Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of developmentrelated problems in Sub-Saharan Africa
• Graduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa
• Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and partner universities
The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme, or with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses in their home country (so called In-Country scholarships) or in another Sub-Saharan Africa country (In-Region scholarships).
As part of the „In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme“, DAAD offers scholarships for PhD and Master studies at the University of Ghana.
When is the application deadline?
Application Closing Date at University of Ghana: 15th December 2018
Application Closing Date for DAAD-application: 16th January 2019
Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
Sub-Saharan African countries
In which host country will the awardees be studying?
What is the category of this opportunity?
How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
• have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (second class upper division)
• clearly show motivation and strong commitment
• have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
• have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
• must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Saharan African country
• should generally be a) staff member of a public or private university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector or d) DAFI-Alumni (Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative)
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
PhD-scholarships are initially granted for one year and can be extended to upon receipt of an application for extension. Scholars must demonstrate satisfactory progress before an extension is granted.
Master-scholarships are granted for generally two years. Scholars also need to demonstrate satisfactory progress after one year. All further information will be provided after admission to the scholarship programme.
How many scholarship awards are available?
It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with Department of Soil Science, University of Ghana by offering up to 1 In-Country and 1 In-Region scholarships for PhD and up to 1 In-Country and 2 In-Region scholarships for Master studies at University of Ghana, Department of Soil Science for the intake 2019.
What are the benefits of the award?
Study and research allowance
Monthly Scholarship (Accommodation, Food etc.)
Travel allowance (In-Region only)
DAAD In-Country/In-Region scholarship holders are also encouraged to apply for a research stay in Germany for 3 up to 6 months. Please note: The short-term research stay in Germany should preferably be announced in the application
for the regular scholarship and can only be awarded if the necessary financial means are available.
The short-term research scholarship includes:
• a monthly scholarship payment for living costs which amounts to 1.200 (PhD students) and 850 (Master students) EUR per month
• health/accident/personal liability insurance
• a flat-rate travel allowance
All further details regarding additional benefits and the additional application processes will be provided after admission to the scholarship programme.
What is the duration of the programme?
- of the PhD programme is up to four years
- of the Master programme is up to two years
generally starting in August 2019.
How to Apply for the University of Ghana Soil Science Scholarship
The application process contains two steps.
- First step includes Application at University of Ghana
- Second step (DAAD Application: Department of Soil Science, University of Ghana will provide the shortlisted candidates with the link to the DAAD-Portal. Only the pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal,register themselves and submit an DAAD application.
- It is important to go through the Application requirements on the Programme Webpage (see Link below) before applying.