University of Ghana Fellowship Invitation: Applications are currently ongoing for the Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA) Fellowships at University of Ghana. Interested students can see the details and apply if eligible.
University of Ghana MIASA Fellowship Details and FAQs
- University of Ghana MIASA Fellowship Details and FAQs
- When is the application deadline?
- Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
- What is the category of this opportunity?
- How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
- What are the selection criteria?
- How many scholarship awards are available?
- What are the benefits of the award?
- What is the duration of the programme?
- How to Apply for the University of Ghana MIASA Fellowship
The Maria Sibylla Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA) is dedicated to the topic of ‘Sustainable Governance’. MIASA’s three research foci are: sustainable environmental transformation, sustainable conflict management, and sustainable democracy.
IFGs bring together a group of up to ten fellows for a duration of four months. The group comprises both senior and junior fellows including researchers from Germany, Africa and the rest of the world. The group centers around a research question which necessitates the input of experts from different academic fields and backgrounds.
The group will work on the joint topic by, among other things, holding weekly colloquia and organizing a workshop. The group will be asked to produce a publication summing up the results of their work.
The IFG topic: African parliaments may not be inclusive and representative enough to provide for a sustainable democracy. Additionally, their relative political weight is often low, compared with the executive branch of government. The aim of this IFG is to investigate and compare the attributes and behaviour of parliaments in African countries with different democratic credentials.
In its first call for short-term fellowships MIASA welcomes applications from excellent researchers to join the interdisciplinary fellow group (IFG) “Parliaments and Democracy in Africa” from September to December 2019.
When is the application deadline?
30th November, 2018, 24 h CET
Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
African countries, Germany
What is the category of this opportunity?
How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
Eligible for application are junior and senior researchers from all countries after completion of their PhD in a relevant discipline of the Humanities or the Social Sciences. Applicants must propose a research project that matches the research focus of the IFG on “Parliaments and Democracy in Africa”.
What are the selection criteria?
All fellowships will be awarded to individuals of top academic quality with innovative and high quality research projects that fit with the IFG focus on parliaments and democracy in Africa, and will be selected through a highly competitive, strictly merit-based selection process.
How many scholarship awards are available?
What are the benefits of the award?
- The successful applicants will become MIASA Fellows with all the corresponding rights and obligations for the requested funding period.
- The fellow’s salary costs will be met by MIASA on the principle of “no loss, no gain” and paid directly to their home institution Furthermore, all fellows will receive a monthly allowance of 400 €. MIASA will provide accommodation and reimburse travel costs. MIASA will provide a research cost contribution of 150 € per fellow per month which is pooled on the fellow group level and will be spent as determined by the group convenor.
- The Institute provides its fellows with modern office space and an up-to-date infrastructure. Fellows have full access to all library services.
- Full-time presence at MIASA is expected of all fellows.
What is the duration of the programme?
4 months from September to December 2019.
How to Apply for the University of Ghana MIASA Fellowship
The completed application form together with the required documents has to be uploaded on the application webpage (https://frias.wufoo.com/forms/miasa-fellowships-ifg-parliaments-and-democracy)
and submitted by November 30, 2018; 24.00 h CET