Applications are currently ongoing for the Swedish Institute Management Programme (SIMP) Africa for Young African Leaders. Interested students should see the details below.
Training Details and FAQs
- Training Details and FAQs
- When is the application deadline?
- Which countries are eligible for the training?
- In which host country will I be studying?
- What is the training about?
- What is the course level?
- How do I know if I’m eligible for the training?
- How many training awards are available?
- Value of Program
- How long will the training last?
- How to Apply for the Scholarship
Do you want to be a part of an international network of emerging leaders focused on responsible leadership and sustainable business practices? Join the Swedish Institute Management Programme (SIMP) Africa.
When is the application deadline?
6th February, 2018
Which countries are eligible for the training?
Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda or Zambia
In which host country will I be studying?
Sweden and selected countries in Africa
What is the training about?
Sweden is considered to be one of the leading countries in sustainable business practice. Swedish companies play a prominent role in finding new, innovative ways to integrate social, environmental and ethical concerns into their core business models. But the challenges are global and we have a common need for sustainable development.
SIMP Africa is partly funded by the Swedish Government and aims at emerging leaders from Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Ethiopia and Zambia. The programme curriculum revolves around advanced business-related problem solving, seminars and meetings with front figures in the commercial, political and cultural fields, as well as on-site company visits. By providing the platform for knowledge sharing, experience exchange and quality networking, the programme aims to challenge traditional approaches, reinforce professional skills, deepen cross-cultural perspectives and unite the participants in a long-lasting and active global network.
The programme, spread over seven months, comprises three weeks of intensive training divided into an introductory kick-off at the Swedish Embassy in each country, a two week module in Sweden and a concluding five day module in Africa.
What is the course level?
How do I know if I’m eligible for the training?
To apply to SIMP Africa you have to:
- aspire to make sustainability an integral part of your business strategy
- be in a leading position within trade, industry or the public sector
- have mandate to influence the business strategy for your organisation
- be between 25-45 years old (born 1973 – 1993)
- have a good working knowledge of both written and spoken English
- be a citizen and resident of Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda or Zambia
- be can take part in all parts of the programme
- be willing to forward competences and knowledge you gain from the programme
The applications will be evaluated according to the following selection criteria:
- The relevance and quality of personal motivation and commitment, and the applicant’s answers in the application form.
- An assessment of the CV
- The general qualifications of the applicant
The Swedish Institute will make its decision taking into account the recommendations of the selection committee as well as the candidates’ general suitability for the programme. We are striving for as much diversity as possible in the group in order to maximise the exchange of experience between the participants, which means the distribution of candidates from each country will differ.
Out of all applicants, a number of shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews as a second step in the selection process. The interviews will be conducted by Business Sweden. The 25 selected applicants will be contacted by e-mail and offered a place in SIMP Africa 2017.
How many training awards are available?
Value of Program
Costs covered and arranged by Swedish Institute
- Training and content
- Accommodation, food and domestic transport during the programme
- Flight tickets to and from Sweden
- Insurance covering acute illness and accident when in Sweden
Costs covered and arranged by you
- Flight tickets to and from the kick-off and module 2
- Visas costs, when necessary, to all programme modules
- Occasional meals
- Occasional airport transfers
- Insurance when modules are held outside of Sweden
How long will the training last?
How to Apply for the Scholarship
A complete application consists of all the information in the Program Webpage (see Link below)
Please ensure that the application form in PDF format and CV reaches us by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org by February 6, 2018. Write your name and country in the e-mail’s subject line.