Applications are currently ongoing for the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Students and Artists. Interested students should see the details below.
Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship Details and FAQs
- Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship Details and FAQs
- When is the application deadline?
- Is the scholarship/opportunity offered annually?
- Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
- Where will I be studying?
- What are the eligible courses and fields of study?
- What is the category of this opportunity?
- What are the selection criteria? and How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
- What are the benefits of the scholarship?
- How long will the scholarship last?
- How to Apply for the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships
- Sponsor: Swiss Government
The Swiss government, through the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS), awards various postgraduate scholarships to foreign scholars and researchers:
- The research scholarship is available to post-graduate researchers in any discipline (who hold a master’s degree as a minimum) who are planning to come to Switzerland to pursue research or further studies at doctoral or post-doctoral level.
Research scholarships are awarded for research or study at all Swiss cantonal universities, universities of applied sciences and the two federal institutes of technology. Only candidates nominated by an academic mentor at one of these higher education institutions will be considered.
- Art scholarships are open to art students wishing to pursue an initial master’s degree in Switzerland. Art scholarships are awarded for study at any Swiss conservatory or university of the arts. Only those who have already been awarded a place to study may apply. This scholarship is available to students from a limited number of countries only.
These scholarships provide graduates from all fields with the opportunity to pursue masters, doctoral or postdoctoral research in Switzerland at one of the public funded university or recognised institution.
This year, the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship is offering Masters scholarships to Art students (Artists). Every year, the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship is offered for PhD, Postdoctoral and Research for Foreign Students from Africa and other Countries to Study Abroad in Switzerland. New information as More countries have been included. Search for your country using this new link:
When is the application deadline?
(Varies by countries, generally 30th November).
Submission to Swiss Representation is from Sept to Dec.
However, be sure to check the application deadline of your own country.
Is the scholarship/opportunity offered annually?
Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
International students from more than 180 countries. See the official website for complete list of eligible countries.
Where will I be studying?
Any of the ten (10) Swiss Public Universities, the two (2) Swiss Federal Institutes of Technology, the public teaching and research institutes and the Universities of applied sciences
What are the eligible courses and fields of study?
All academic fields
What is the category of this opportunity?
Masters (for the arts scholarship),
PhD, Postdoctoral and Research Scholarships
What are the selection criteria? and How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
The FCS assesses scholarship applications according to three criteria:
a) Candidate profile
b) Quality of the research project or artistic work
c) Synergies and potential for future research cooperation
The FCS will select scholarship holders for the 2019/2020 academic year by the end of May 2019.
Applications are subject to preliminary selection by the relevant national authorities and/or the Swiss diplomatic representation. The short-listed applications are then assessed by the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS) which subsequently takes the final decision.
The FCS is composed of professors from all Swiss public universities. Scholarship awards are decided on the basis of academic and scientific excellence.
Candidates for the University Scholarships must;
- hold a university degree (Bachelors/Masters) on commencement of the scholarship.
- be able to demonstrate their academic abilities and what they aim to achieve.
- contact the institution and/or the professor supervising their period of research. Universities may request supplementary information and/or set certain additional conditions to determine whether or not you qualify for admission.
- be under the age of 35 (born on or after 1 January 1977).
- be suitably proficient in the language of instruction (French, German, Italian or English) in order to draw full benefit from their studies in Switzerland.
Please refer to the country-specific fact sheets for general and specific eligibility criteria.
What are the benefits of the scholarship?
The scholarship covers a monthly payment , exemption of tuition fees, health insurance, air fare, special lodging allowance, etc. See the fact sheets for exact scholarship benefits.
How long will the scholarship last?
for the period of study
How to Apply for the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships
Visit the link below and select your country for country-specific application instruction.
Sponsor: Swiss Government
About the State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation:
The State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation SERI within the Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research EAER is the federal government’s specialised agency for national and international matters concerning education, research and innovation policy.