Applications are currently ongoing for the University of Michigan 2018 African Presidential Scholars Program (UMAPS). Interested students should see the details below.
The U-M African Presidential Scholars Program (UMAPS) accepts applications from Faculty members of Colleges and Universities in Africa.
This program supports the development of the next generation of African scholars and seeks to help their home institutions build capacity. Individuals may apply for a two-month, four-month, or six-month residency.
15th October 2017
Ann Habor, Michigan, USA
Those admitted to the UMAPS Program will receive:
- Four to six months residency at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, paired with a faculty mentor with full access to the university’s resources
- Round-trip airfare from their home country to Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Free housing, and a modest stipend to cover living, health care, and research costs while at U-M. The UMAPS program is unable to accommodate spouses and/or dependents
- Office/Laboratory space
- Opportunity to present research to the U-M community
Eligible scholars may apply to visit U-M for a semester (four months) or for a half year (six months) beginning in Late August 2018 -Early February 2019
To be eligible for this scholarship program, applicants must :
- be African Citizens
- be a faculty member from universities in Ethiopia, Ghana, Uganda, Liberia and South Africa and other African Countries
- be an educator in the higher education system for less than ten years, presently teaching in a college or university in Africa
- be able to demonstrate support from home institution with letter of recommendation from head of department, dean, or vice chancellor
- Be able to remain in residence from four to six months
How to Apply
In order to apply, all applicants must:
- Complete the online application form
- Submit a curriculum vitae
- Submit a scholarly program/research proposal (not to exceed five pages) (See link in scholarship Webpage)
Applications from a wide range of disciplines and schools are welcome; applications that align with the center’s initiatives—African Heritage, African Social Research, and STEM-Africa—are encouraged
- Provide a complete name and contact information of the department head, dean, or vice chancellor at the applicant’s home institution who will be writing their letter of support (See link in scholarship Webpage)
Only applications submitted through the online system will be considered. ASC does not accept electronic (PDF) or hard copy submissions of the application.