This is to inform all interested candidates that Bath Spa University – a public university based on numerous campuses near Bath, England is inviting applications for Art and Design Ph.D. Fee Waiver Studentships to start in the academic year 2017/18. This studentship is available both to Home/EU and International applicants.
The institution was previously known as Bath College of Higher Education, and later Bath Spa University College.
Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there
Course Level: Studentships are available to pursue the PhD. program.
Study Subject: Studentships are awarded in the field of Art and Design.
Scholarship Award: The studentships will provide:
- A full tuition fee waiver for 3.5 years
- A support fund of £1800 which may be used during the period of the studentship, to support research activities and/or resources such as specialist training, equipment or conference attendance
- Access to a wide-ranging Researcher Development program
- Opportunities to develop teaching skills by participating in Bath Spa’s Graduate Teaching Assistant Scheme which includes registration on the CPLHE course, which leads to HEA accreditation.
Number of Scholarships: Up to three studentships are available.
Scholarship can be taken in the UK
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- The fee waiver studentship is available to individuals applying for a first Postgraduate Research program. Applications from individuals who have already been awarded a Ph.D. are not eligible.
- Applications for Ph.D. by Publication are not eligible.
- The studentship is not transferable or deferrable to commence outside of the academic year 2017/18.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- This Studentship is available both to Home/EU and International applicants. International students, however, have to pay the difference between UK/EU fees and International student fees.
- Fee Waiver Studentships are normally available to campus-based students only. The student must live within a reasonable distance from the University to ensure that they are able to maintain regular contact with their department and their supervisor unless otherwise agreed by the supervisory team.
- Students will need to demonstrate their ability to fund their living costs.
- Applicants are expected to have a proven track record in terms of prior study and/or relevant professional practice. Applicants will normally be expected to hold a Master’s degree and this must have been awarded before an application is submitted.
- The main assessment criteria will be academic excellence. The fee waiver is not intended to act as hardship or financial relief and justification on these grounds in the application will be discounted.
- Studentship holders are usually expected to contribute to research forums and researcher development workshops.
- The Fee Waiver Studentships will not be extended or renewed beyond the original term.
- The fee waiver is applied to the published fee for the course of study the studentship holder has been accepted for. This does not extend to any bench fees or other charges for which the studentship holder may be liable, including penalty charges for the late payment of fees beyond the period of funding.
- Studentship holders will be expected to submit for examination and be examined within the duration of the studentship.
- Once a period of study has commenced, should a studentship holder be granted an authorized period of suspension their fee waiver will be similarly suspended and will be recommended on the resumption of studies. Should the studentship holder withdraw from their studies, the fee waiver will be terminated. Any refunds owing to studentship holders will be calculated against fees actually paid. Please also note that on the resumption of studies after a period of suspension studentship holders will need to complete re enrollment procedures for the entire academic year. The fee waiver will in some cases only cover a part of that academic year’s fee and studentship holders will be liable to pay their remaining fees in advance.
Nationality: This Studentship is available both to Home/EU and International applicants. International students, however, have to pay the difference between UK/EU fees and International student fees.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: The fee waiver studentship is available to individuals applying for a first Postgraduate Research program.
English Language Requirements: If English is not your first language, please include evidence of your linguistic ability.
How to Apply: For an application form, together with full details of how to apply, see our Research Degrees page. (Please state on the application form that you are applying for a Fee Waiver Studentship in BSAD.)
In addition to the application form you will need to provide:
- For practice-based proposals, an electronic portfolio of not more than twelve of your works together with an example of your writing (e.g. academic essay or thesis)
- For theory-based proposals, a sample of your work, such as an essay, part of a dissertation, or a paper (no more than 3,000 words) on your proposed topic
- For creative practice-led projects, some of the submitted work may be existing creative work
- Copies of your degree certificates and transcripts
- Two academic references are required and the forms and information to forward to nominated referees are contained within the application form.
- If you are already engaged in an application with Bath Spa and wish to be considered for this Fee Waiver Studentship, please enquire at PGRadmissions-at-bathspa.ac.uk
Application Deadline: The application deadline is midnight on Friday, September 1, for a start date of October 1, 2017.