Applications are currently ongoing for the 2018 Machel-Mandela Fellowship Program for International Students. Interested students should see the details below.
The Brenthurst Foundation is a Johannesburg-based think-tank established by the Oppenheimer family in 2004 to support the Brenthurst Initiative in seeking ways to fund African development, and to organize conferences on African competitiveness.
The Brenthurst Foundation is offering fellowship opportunities to young graduates who have interest in pursuing a degree program in South Africa.
The Machel-Mandela Fellows programme aims to be the most prestigious of its kind in Africa. It helps sharpen the Brenthurst Foundation’s focus on Africa’s burgeoning youth population and helps nurture Africa’s future leaders.
Application Deadline: 30th November 2017.
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Countries in Africa or abroad
Host Country: Johannesburg, South Africa
Course Level: Fellowship
Value Of Scholarship: An all-inclusive stipend per month and accommodation (subject to Foundation policy) will be provided. Other work-related expenses may also be covered subject to agreement with the Foundation.
Duration Of Scholarship: The programme will be available full-time for a minimum of six months and the selected candidate will be expected to take up the appointment in January 2017.
Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible for this fellowship program, applicants must:
- be Under 30 years of age
- have An Undergraduate or Masters level degree
- be Excellent spoken and have written English. African and other languages an asset
- have Excellent communication skills
- be Enthusiastic and reliable, a self-starter who requires minimal oversight and management
- be Able to balance deadlines and attention to detail
- have Fluency in all basic IT skills
- have Copy-editing and proof-reading skills an asset
- have A passion for Africa and a keen interest in new thinking and strategies to strengthen Africa’s economic performance
- have Broad knowledge of African politics and economics
- be Familiar with the work of the Brenthurst Foundation (please consult the website : www.thebrenthurstfoundtion.org)
How to Apply for the Scholarship
Interested applicants are advised to address their application to Ms Leila Jack at firstname.lastname@example.org quoting ‘Machel-Mandela Fellow’ in the subject line.
You will need to send:
- An up-to-date CV with references’ details
- A covering letter – no more than 500 words, outlining your interest in the position and the skills you can bring to bear
- A writing sample – this can be any piece of work, for example an essay or a published article, of any length.
- The earliest date you would be able to start
- Details of where you saw the post advertised