Applications are currently ongoing for the 5th African School of Fundamental Physics and Applications (ASP) Program for all African Students (Fully-funded Training Program in Namibia). Interested students should see the details below.
Scholarship Details and FAQs
- Scholarship Details and FAQs
- How to Apply for the Scholarship
The 5th edition of the biennial African School of Fundamental Physics and Applications, ASP2018, will take place on June 24 – July 14, 2018 in Namibia.
When is the application deadline?
31st January 2018
In which host country will I be studying?
University of Namibia, and Namibia University of Science and Technology Windhoek, Namibia
The ASP activities consist of the following components:
- A 3-week scientific program for 60–80 students from all over Africa with a minimum if 3 years university education in mathematics, physics, computing and/or engineering. ASP2018-Namibia;
- African Conference on Fundamental Physics and Applications (ACP) organized in parallel to the students and teachers activities. It includes invited and contributed talks in many different tracks. ACP2018-Namibia;
- A one-week workshop is organized to train 70–80 high school teachers for improved physics teaching;
- A one-week program that consists of outreach to motivate 200–250 learners to develop and maintain interest in physics;
- A forum that consists of talks, discussions and debate about the role and the future of ASP in capacity development in Africa;
- Continuously, an active mentoring and coaching program to help ASP students.
Members of the International Organizing Committee made a site visit to Namibia on June 12-16, 2017. The objective of the site visit was to meet with the Local Organizing Committee and to converge on a program of actions leading towards a successful ASP.
Fields of Training
The ASP includes lectures, demonstrations, experimentation and hands-on tutorials in the following ares:
- Astrophysics and Cosmology;
- Nuclear and Particle Physics;
- Accelerator, Medical and Radiation Physics;
- High Performance Computing;
- Physics Education;
- Physics Communication;
- Renewable Energies and Energy Efficiency;
What is the course level?
How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
Priority will be given to:
- African students with a minimum of 3-year university education in physics, mathematics, engineering or computer science;
- Students that did not attend any previous editions of ASP.
What are the benefits of the scholarship?
Selected students will receive travel coverage, accommodation and full board.
How long will the scholarship last?
It is planned for June 24 – July 14, 2018.
How to Apply for the Scholarship
Application materials needed:
- Statement of interest
- All university transcripts
- One letter of recommendation from university advisor
Application to be submitted online here.