Rhodes University Scholarship: Applications are currently ongoing for the OSISA Scholarship for African Women to Study at Rhodes University, South Africa. Interested students can see the details and apply if eligible.
Rhodes University OSISA Scholarship Details and FAQs
- Rhodes University OSISA Scholarship Details and FAQs
- Rhodes University Hugh le May Fellowship Scholarship Details and FAQs [Closed]
Southern African Women Media Leaders who wish to study media management and leadership at the Rhodes University’s Sol Plaatje Institute (SPI), South Africa for Media Leadership are invited to apply for postgraduate scholarships 2018 offered by the Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa (OSISA).
Successful scholarship applicants will register for the SPI’s one- year, fulltime Postgraduate Diploma in Media Management (PDMM), the only university-level media management course in Africa.
The postgraduate scholarships, sponsored by the Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa (OSISA), are for women media leaders in OSISA’s 10 Southern African countries which include Angola, Botswana, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
The Sol Plaatje Institute for Media Leadership is a pioneering media management institute of Rhodes University’s School of Journalism and Media Studies. It educates and trains high-level media managers and leaders for and from across Africa through delivering unique, innovative and Africa-contextualised courses and training programmes. All of the Institute’s courses and training programmes are fully accredited and certificated.
The Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa (OSISA), an African institution committed to the creation of open societies through support for democracy, human rights and good governance, invites applications for eight postgraduate scholarships from Southern African women media leaders who wish to study media management at Rhodes University’s Sol Plaatje Institute (SPI) for Media Leadership in 2019.
When is the application deadline?
23rd November 2018
Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
Applicants should be from Angola, Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia, the DRC, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Swaziland, and Zimbabwe. Candidates from Angola, Mozambique, Namibia, the DRC and Lesotho will get priority in the selection of scholars for 2019.
How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
- Only female students from OSISA’s 10 countries of Southern Africa are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
- Applicants should ideally come from media companies.
- Successful applicants will be required on completion of the PDMM to return to their employers in their home countries to work there for a period of at least a year in partial fulfilment of having been granted the scholarship.
- Applicants should ideally have completed an undergraduate degree from a recognised university.
- Experienced media practitioners with diplomas in journalism or mass communication studies will also be considered.
What are the benefits of the scholarship?
- The full cost of tuition
- Accommodation and meals in one of Rhodes University’s residences
- Course materials
- A monthly subsistence allowance
- Medical aid cover
- Mid-year media management internship costs.
Employers of the successful scholarship applicants or the scholarship winners themselves have to cover their travel costs to and from Rhodes University, including during the University’s holidays, to encourage greater ownership and appreciation of the scholarship programme by the beneficiaries and their media organizations.
How to Apply for the Rhodes University OSISA Scholarship
Students wishing to apply for these scholarships need to:
- Complete Rhodes University’s standard External Honours Application form, which is available at https://www.ru.ac.za/media/rhodesuniversity/content/registrar/documents/forms/2015%20External%20Hons%20Applications.pdf), which must be submitted directly to the Registrar’s Division at Rhodes University and a copy emailed to Sibonise Mbengashe (email@example.com) at the Sol Plaatje Institute for Media Leadership. They must also complete the application form for the PDMM, which is available at https://www.ru.ac.za/spi/studying/ and send it to both the Registrar’s Division and the SPI’s Sibonise Mbengashe (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Submit a detailed CV, including email and phone contact details. This is sent to the SPI only.
- Submit certified academic transcripts of ALL tertiary qualifications. These are sent to both the SPI and Registrar’s Division at Rhodes University; and
- Submit to the SPI, through Sibonise, a 1,000-word letter of motivation, which explains why the student is interested in doing the PDMM, how the PDMM will assist the student’s career and why the student believes she qualifies for the OSISA scholarship.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted after the applications close at 12 mid-day (Southern African Time) on 23 November 2018.
For more details about this scholarship, visit the scholarship webpage below:
Rhodes University Hugh le May Fellowship Scholarship Details and FAQs [Closed]
The Rhodes University, South Africa invites applications for the Hugh Le May Fellowship which is offered to ONLY South African applicants. The Fellowship comprises:
- A direct return economy class airfare from the Fellow’s place of residence.
- University accommodation with electricity and water included.
- R5000.00 monthly cash stipend to supplement the Fellow’s usual source of income, or if accompanied by a partner R7500.00 per month cash stipend.
- If the Fellow accepts the appointment for at least four months and is accompanied by a partner, the partner’s return economy airfare will also be paid.
- The length of the Fellowship may be extended by mutual agreement and subject to the availability of funds.
This fellowship is provided to senior scholars who wish to devote themselves to advanced work in one of the following subjects listed below.
When is the application deadline?
The application deadline for this fellowship is on 31st August 2018.
What are the eligible courses and fields of study?
Philosophy, Classics, Ancient, Medieval or Modern History, Classical, Biblical, Medieval or Modern Languages, Political Theory, Law.
To be taken at:
What is the course level?
How to Apply for the Rhodes University Hugh le May Fellowship Scholarship
Applicants should download and completely fill in the application form.
Completed forms should be sent to email@example.com.