The Petroleum Trust Development Fund (PTDF) has announced the 2016/2017 Postgraduate Scholarship Application (Overseas & Local) for interested applicants.
The Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) is a parastatal of the Ministry of Petroleum Resources established by Decree 25 of 1973 for the purpose of developing and promoting petroleum technology and for creating the manpower needs of the oil and gas industry through research and training of Nigerians.
To ensure a steadfast implementation of this mandate, PTDF is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates for Overseas and in-Country MSc and PhD Scholarships.
It is very important that you ensure that you don’t pay anybody any money in a bid to apply for the PTDF scholarship.
PTDF does not charge any money for the application except if you wish to buy the SCRATCH CARD in the bank rather than get the FREE PIN from the Geology department of your institution.
Make sure you apply on the PTDF website. Find out more details on the link.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE POSSESSION OF A VALID UNIVERSITY ADMISSION LETTER IS COMPULSORY FOR LSS AND ALL MSC AND PHD APPLICANTS.
A. MSc (OSS And LSS)
1. A minimum of Second Class Upper (2.1) in an Oil and Gas related field OR a 2.2 with oil and gas industry experience.
2. National Youth Service (NYSC) certificate.
3. Applicants must be computer literate.
4. Possession of O/level with Credit in English Language; At least C6 in WAEC/SSCE or C4 and above in NECO.
5. Applicants must not be above 30 years of age.
Applicants for OSS must be in possession of the following:
6. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (USA).
7. G.R.E (Graduate Record Examination) (USA).
8. GMAT – for Management related courses (USA).
9. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (UK).
B. PhD (OSS And LSS)
1. Applicants must be in the academics in Nigerian Institutions, teaching an oil and gas related discipline.
2. Applicants must possess minimum of 2.2 in their first degree and a good second degree certificate.
3. Applicants must submit a research proposal relevant to the oil and gas industry (of not more than 5 pages) to include: Topic, Introduction, Objective, Methodology and Mode of Data Collection.
4. Applicants must include a valid admission letter.
5. Applicants must not be over 40 years of age.
6. Applicants must include their masters degree project.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Application Forms can be accessed online at www.ptdf.cinfores.com using an ATM (Interswitch, Master Card & Visa card) or through purchase of a scratch card from designated main branches of First Bank of Nigeria Plc in all the 36 States and FCT, upon payment of a NON-REFUNDABLE sum of N1,000 (One Thousand Naira Only). Instructions on how to access the form online is clearly stated on the backside of the cards.
DOCUMENTS TO SCAN AND ATTACH TO THE APPLICATION FORM
Applicants are advised to scan copies of the following documents and attach to their online application forms:
First Degree Certificate or Statement of Result.
i) NYSC discharge certificate.
ii) WAEC/GCE/SSCE/NECO Results or provide PIN numbers on the application forms to enable PTDF view the results on the relevant website.
iii) Recent Passport Photograph.
iv) Local Government Identification Letter.
v) Master’s Degree Certificate (PhD Applicants only).
vi) Admission Letter (PhD Applicants).
vii) Birth Certificate.
Applicants may please note that only those who meet the requirements below shall be shortlisted and invited for a Computer Based Aptitude Test, in the case of MSc applicants, while oral interview will be conducted for PhD applicants (full time and Split-site) on dates to be announced later. Following the aptitude tests and interview, successful candidates will be selected and awarded the PTDF Scholarship.
LIST OF APPROVED COURSES FOR SPONSORSHIP
Scholarships will be offered for admission into the under listed courses (for overseas MSc). Candidates are advised, to apply for admission into Universities in the UK, Germany, Norway Australia and the United States that offer these courses, while applying for the Petroleum Technology Development Fund Scholarship. The Local scholarship scheme applicants can apply to all Federal Universities and Centre of Exellence in Courses core to Oil and Gas Industry
Scholarships will be offered for admission into the under listed courses (for overseas MSc). Candidates are advised, to apply for admission into Universities in the UK, Germany, Norway Australia and the United States that offer these courses, while applying for the Petroleum Technology Development Fund Scholarship.
The Local scholarship scheme applicants can apply to all Federal Universities and Centre of Exellence in Courses core to Oil & Gas Industry
1. Assets Management (Engineering Asset Management)
2. Basin Evolution and Dynamics
3. Control System And Applied Instrumentation
4. Design of Rotating Machines
5. Diving and Under Water Technology
6. Energy Systems Engineering
7. Environmental Engineering
8. Environmental Remote Sensing
9. Fire and Explosion Engineering
10. Flow Assurance
11. Fluid Mechanics and Energetic (France)
12. Health Safety and Environmental
13. Hydraulic Engineering (France)
14. International Shipping
15. Marine computational Fluid Dynamics
16. Maritime Operation
17. Offshore and Ocean Technology
18. Offshore Engineering
19. Petroleum Engineering (UK, UNSW, Australia)
20. Pipeline Engineering
21. Purchasing and Supply Chain Management
22. Refinery Design and Operations
23. Renewable Energy Engineering (UNSW – Australia)
24. Subsea Engineering
25. Thermal Power (Gas Turbine Option)
26. Geothermal Engineering (Germany)
27. Mechatronics and Mechanical Systems Engineering (USP – Brasil, Germany)
28. Naval and Ocean Engineering (USP, Brazil)
29. Mining and Petroleum Engineering (USP, Brasil)
30. Production Engineering (USP, Brasil)
31. Systems Engineering and Engineering (Germany)
32. Geology and Petroleum Geology (Germany)
33. Reservoir Engineering/Production Technology (Germany)
B. PhD – Priority Research Areas
The PhD research areas in addition to the afore-listed MSc program areas may also include any of the following related areas:
1. Environmental Studies and HSE (Health, Safety and Environment).
2. Marginal Fields Development.
3. Flow Assurance and Pipeline Engineering.
4. Geology and Petroleum Geology.
5. Civil and Marine Engineering.
6. Renewable Energy.
7. Reservoir Engineering/Production Technology.
8. Refining Technology.
9. Ship Building and Marine Technology
PLEASE NOTE THAT:RECIPIENTS OF A SIMILAR SCHOLARSHIP NEED NOT APPLY.
APPLICANTS WHO ALREADY POSSESS A MASTER’S DEGREE SHOULD NOT APPLY FOR MSC PROGRAMME, BUT ARE QUALIFIED TO APPLY FOR THE PHD.
Application ends 9th November, 2015
LATEST: PTDF Has Not Cancelled Overseas Scholarship For Nigerians
The Petroleum Technology Development Fund wishes to clarify that, contrary to some media reports, the Fund has not cancelled or intends to stop its Overseas Scholarship Scheme in the immediate. This is in view of the continued relevance of the scheme in building a crop of well-trained Nigerian professionals to effectively manage the critical sectors of the oil and gas industry as well as the academia.
The intention of PTDF in reviewing the operations of the scheme through its training domestication drive is to increase the involvement of local universities whose facilities and faculties have over the years been massively upgraded by the Fund.
The Federal Government has invested huge resources through the PTDF in upgrading 26 departments involved in teaching oil and gas related courses in 26 universities, with world class facilities that put them at par with their contemporaries abroad.
These upgraded universities, some of which have become Centres of Excellence in the teaching and research of specific oil and gas disciplines, are already being used for the training of PTDF scholars at undergraduate and post-graduate levels under the Local Scholarship Scheme of the Fund.
Part of the domestication policy in the management of PTDF scholarship scheme is to gradually reduce foreign training of our scholars and build up in-country training facilities towards self-sufficiency in oil and gas capacity-building.
We must emphasize however that this new thinking and direction does not in any way translate to a cancellation, stoppage or withdrawal of the overseas segment of our scholarship programme. Qualified Nigerians will continue to be sponsored abroad for training especially in critical subject areas in the oil and gas industry that we currently lack enough capacity for in Nigeria.
The other limb of the domestication approach is to encourage foreign universities where Nigerian scholars are regularly sent for their Masters and PhD studies to set up branches or campuses of their institutions in Nigeria or go into partnership with the upgraded Nigerian universities for split PhD programmes, whereby aspects of the training and research will be conducted both in Nigeria and abroad.
Kalu Otisi Esq.
Head, Press and External Relations
September 4, 2015