Applications are currently ongoing for the NDDC Foreign Postgraduate Scholarship for Nigerian Students to Study Abroad for Masters and PhD programmes. Interested students should see the details below.
NDDC Foreign Postgraduate Scholarship Details and FAQs
- NDDC Foreign Postgraduate Scholarship Details and FAQs
- When is the application deadline?
- Is the scholarship/opportunity offered annually?
- Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
- In which host country will the awardees be studying?
- What are the eligible fields of study?
- What is the category of this opportunity?
- How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
- How many scholarship awards are available?
- What are the benefits of the scholarship?
- How long will the scholarship last?
- How to Apply for the NDDC Foreign Postgraduate Scholarship
The Niger Delta Development Commission is a federal government agency established by Nigerian president Olusegun Obasanjo in the year 2000 with the sole mandate of developing the oil-rich Niger Delta region of Nigeria. In September 2008, President Umaru Yar’Adua announced the formation of a Niger Delta Ministry, with the Niger Delta Development Commission to become a parastatal under the ministry.
The NDDC was created largely as a response to the demands of the population of the Niger Delta, a populous area inhabited by a diversity of minority ethnic groups. During the 1990s these ethnic groups, most notably the Ijaw and the Ogoni established organisations to confront the Nigerian government and multinational oil companies such as Shell.
The minorities of the Niger Delta have continued to agitate and articulate demands for greater autonomy and control of the area’s petroleum resources. They justify their grievances by reference to the extensive environmental degradation and pollution from oil activities that have occurred in the region since the late 1950s.
However, the minority communities of oil producing areas have received little or no currency from the oil industry and environmental remediation measures are limited and negligible. The region is highly underdeveloped and is poor even by Nigeria’s standards for quality of life.
As part of our Human Resource Development initiatives, the Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC, is commencing the 2016 Post-Graduate Foreign Scholarship Programme, to equip Niger Deltans with relevant training and skills for effective participation in the Local Content programme of the Federal Government, as well as compete globally in various professional fields.
The Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) offers Masters and PhD Scholarships for Nigerian students from the Niger Delta to study abroad.
When is the application deadline?
Friday 20th July, 2018
Is the scholarship/opportunity offered annually?
Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
Niger Deltan states in Nigeria which includes Akwa Ibom State, Bayelsa State, Cross River State, Delta State, Edo State and Rivers State.
In which host country will the awardees be studying?
What are the eligible fields of study?
The Scheme is for suitably qualified applicants with relevant Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree(s) from recognized universities in the following professional disciplines:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Environmental Sciences
- Information Technology
- Management Sciences
What is the category of this opportunity?
How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
- First degree with minimum of 2nd Class Lower Division for those wishing to undertake a Master’s Degree programme and a good Master’s Degree for PhD candidates from a recognized University.
- Applicants must have gained admission for a Post Graduate Programme in any of the listed disciplines above, in a foreign University.
- Applicants who have already enrolled in Overseas’ Universities are NOT eligible to apply.
- Guarantor’s written consent of good conduct of the applicant from any of the following persons from the applicant’s community/clan.
- Member of National Assembly/State House of Assembly
- Chairman of the LGA
- First Class Traditional Ruler
- High Court Judge
- Persons with evidence of cult membership or criminal record shall not be considered for the award.
- Applicants must have completed the mandatory National Youth Service (NYSC).
How many scholarship awards are available?
What are the benefits of the scholarship?
How long will the scholarship last?
For the period of the programme
How to Apply for the NDDC Foreign Postgraduate Scholarship
Application must be made online at the Commission’s website: with the following attachments:
- Recent passport photograph
- Local Government identification letter.
- Post Graduate (PG) admission letter from a recognised Overseas University.
- Relevant Degrees from a recognized University.
- N.Y.S.C Discharge/Exemption Certificate.
Successfully completed application form will be assigned a registration number automatically.
Print the hard copy of the on-line generated acknowledgement for ease of reference.
All shortlisted applicants will be posted on NDDC website,
Select Your Preferred Program from the Links Below to the appropriate application form
Masters Degree – forms.nddc.gov.ng
PhD Programme – forms.nddc.gov.ng