The Ethiopian Government / World Bank Group Masters and PhD Scholarships is currently ongoing and interested students are invited to apply for the scholarship. The scholarship is available for students from African countries.
Details and FAQs about the Ethiopian Government / World Bank Group Masters and PhD Scholarships
- Details and FAQs about the Ethiopian Government / World Bank Group Masters and PhD Scholarships
- When is the application deadline?
- Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
- In which host country will I be studying?
- What is the category of this opportunity?
- How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
- How many scholarship awards are available?
- What are the benefits of the award?
- What is the duration of the program?
- How to Apply for the Programme
- About Addis Ababa University
The Africa Centre of Excellence for Water Management (ACEWM) is a new initiative of the World Bank Group and the Government of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia through the Eastern and Southern Africa (ESA) regional Center of Excellence Project to be hosted by the Addis Ababa University (AAU).
ACEWM graduate programs primary purpose is providing education that address national, regional and international water issues: training the next generation of water educators, researchers, managers, and professionals; and promoting outreach.
With the aim of developing and establishing a collaborative world-class center of excellence in water management, an innovative approach to managing complex problems in a holistic, integrative and transformative approach that considers science, technology, and socioeconomic aspects, the ACEWM calls for outstanding scholars to apply for PhD and MSc programs in the following tracks below.
When is the application deadline?
The application deadline is 30th May 2018.
Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
Students from African countries are eligible for the scholarship.
In which host country will I be studying?
If given the scholarship, you will be studying in Addis Ababa University (AAU), Ethiopia.
What is the category of this opportunity?
How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
- PhD applicants must have a Master’s Degree earned from a college or university of recognized standing with a grade point average of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale or equivalent in ECTS. However, students with grade point averages between 3.0 and 3.5 will be given consideration based on their experience and achievement.
- Applicants to the Ph.D. program should provide evidence of capacity for research. This could include a master’s thesis, a professional paper, peer reviewed manuscripts, consulting reports, or other evidence of capacity to conduct research.
- All applicants’ undergraduate Cumulative GPA must be not less than 2.75 for males and not less than 2.50 for females.
- Applicants who have completed their degree/diploma from foreign universities are required to obtain their degree/diploma equivalent from the Ethiopian Higher Education Relevance and Quality Agency (HERQA) before admission.
- Applicants must have sufficient knowledge of English language and provide proof of proficiency.
- The age limit at the time of application for M.Sc. applicants is 30 years or less and for Ph.D. 40 years or less.
How many scholarship awards are available?
The number of available scholarships is not specified.
What are the benefits of the award?
- Limited number of full or partial scholarships on a competitive basis pertinent to circumstances will be offered by ACEWM to outstanding and deserving African regional female and male candidates meeting the selection criteria and whose proposed research areas will be in line with the mission and vision of ACEWM.
- The support will initially be granted for one-year, renewable upon a successful completion of the first year.
- Renewal of financial support for the subsequent scholarship years will be dependent upon successful completion of the previous year with written evidence of satisfactory progress received from immediate supervisors of the candidates.
- Female applicants and applicants with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
- Self-sponsored students with other sources of funding or those who can sponsor themselves are also highly encouraged to apply.
What is the duration of the program?
The PhD program will have a duration of 3 to 4 years and the MSc program 2 years.
How to Apply for the Programme
An electronic copy of the application documents shall be submitted in English to both of the
Mr. Netsanet Assefa, Student Affairs Officer, ACEWM, E-mail: email@example.com
Cc to firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel:- +251 911 176 439
Dr. Beteley Tekola, Deputy Head, ACEWM, E-mail: email@example.com
Only selected applicants will be contacted through their email
About Addis Ababa University
Addis Ababa University is a state university in Addis Ababa, the capital of Ethiopia. The university was originally called the University College of Addis Ababa in 1950 and was later renamed Haile Selassie I University in 1962 after the Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie I. The institution received its current name in 1975.
Addis Ababa University has thirteen campuses. Twelve of these are situated in Addis Ababa, and one is located in Bishoftu, about 45 kilometers away. It also maintains branches in many cities throughout Ethiopia. The government assigns qualified students to these universities upon completion of secondary school.