About Charles University:
- About Charles University:
- About the Czech Ministry of Education 2015-2016 Scholarships:
- Criteria for Eligibility:
- Fields of Study:
- Eligible Countries/Target Groups:
- Value of Scholarship/Inclusions:
- Application Procedure/Instructions:
- Deadline for Application:
- Official Scholarship Website:
History and profile:
Charles University in Prague (CU) was founded in 1348 by the Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV as the first university to the north of the Alps and to the east of Paris. The University originally consisted of four faculties: Faculty of theology, of arts, of law, and of medicine.
It is the oldest and also the largest university in the Czech Republic. Furthermore, it belongs among the oldest and largest universities in the world.
Charles University is one of the world’s top universities, a fact that has been confirmed repeatedly by the international university rankings. It is No. 1 in the Czech Republic according to The Academic Ranking of World Universities.
In the “Webometrics Ranking of World Universities” Charles University in Prague ranks as #1 in Central and Eastern Europe and as #26 in whole Europe.
In the Shanghai University’s Academic Ranking of World Universities, which evaluates over 1,000 top universities, Charles University was placed in the top 300 among the world´s 2% top universities and the 100 top European universities. It is the only Czech institution of higher education to be placed in the published list of 500 universities.
About the Czech Ministry of Education 2015-2016 Scholarships:
You are invited to apply for the Czech Ministry of Education 2015-2016 Scholarships for Developing Countries. The Faculty of Social Sciences at Charles University through the support of Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport offers five partial scholarships for developing countries . Applications for these scholarships are open to all students from developing countries and/or countries going through a process of political and economic transition.
Students who are applying for study in one of Bachelor’s studies or Master’s studies programmes at Faculty of Social Sciences, Charles University from academic year 2015/16 can apply.
Criteria for Eligibility:
Applications for these scholarships are open to all students from developing countries and/or countries going through a process of political and economic transition, who are applying for study in one of our Bachelor’s studies or Master’s studies programmes at Charles University Faculty of Social Sciences from academic year 2015/16.
In addition to the documents submitted by scholarship applicants, the Scholarship Review Board will take into consideration applicants’ results from their earlier studies. Priority will be given to students who have not previously had the opportunity to study abroad.
Fields of Study:
Eligible Countries/Target Groups:
The students from the following developing countries are eligible for the scholarship (the list only includes some of the countries, follow the link to see the full list of countries) – Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Niger, Ghana, Zambia, Nicaragua, South Africa, Fiji, India, Nepal, Vietnam, Ethopia, Morocco, Uganda, Turkey, Tunisia, Togo, Ivory Coast, Mali, Congo, Tanzania, Thailand, Malaysia, Malawi, China, Moldova, Macedonia, Chad, Sudan, Liberia, Lesotho, South Sudan, Botswana, Kosovo, Brazil.
Full List of Developing Countries can be accessed here; if you already know your country is tagged as a ‘Developing Country’ you can apply.
Value of Scholarship/Inclusions:
- Under the terms of this scholarship, students will receive a waiver of school fees for their first semester of study, plus a one-off payment of Kc 50,000 (about 2,050 Euro) as a contribution towards living costs.
- School fees for the second semester of study will Not be waived.
- Although we would like to continue the scholarship scheme in school year 2015/16, this is subject to our receiving further funding for future years. At present, therefore, we cannot guarantee that similar scholarships will be available for students’ second year of study.
The mode of applying is by post. Applications must be made on the form that accompanies this announcement, and must include the following documents:
- completed application form;
- motivation essay of no more than 1000 words, explaining why they need a scholarship, and what they hope to gain from their studies at Charles University;
- two letters of recommendation from teachers, who know the student from their previous studies, including confirmation of the student’s financial need.
Deadline for Application:
The deadline for applications is slated for 30th April, 2015. Students who will have problems meeting this deadline due to inefficient or unreliable postal services may, as a temporary measure, submit fax copies and/or scanned copies by e-mail. However, originals must also be sent, and final decisions will not be made until originals have been received.
Official Scholarship Website:
For more information, visit –