Coimbra Group Short-Term Scholarship Invitation: Applications are currently ongoing for the Coimbra Group Short-Term Scholarship Program for Young Researchers in Sub-Saharan Africa. Interested students can see the details and apply if eligible.
Coimbra Group Short-Term Scholarship Program Details and FAQs
- Coimbra Group Short-Term Scholarship Program Details and FAQs
- When is the application deadline?
- Is the scholarship/opportunity offered annually?
- Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
- To be taken at (Country)
- What is the category of this opportunity?
- How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
- How are selections made?
- How many scholarship awards are available?
- What are the benefits of the award?
- What is the duration of the program?
- How to Apply for the Programme:
Coimbra Group Universities have been providing, since 2008, young researchers from universities in Sub-Saharan Africa with the opportunity to spend a short period (1 to 3 months) at a Coimbra Group University to carry out part of their research there.
Universities of the Coimbra Group offer short-term visits (generally 1 to maximum 3 months) to young African researchers from higher education institutions from Sub-Saharan Africa. The main aim of this scholarship programme is to enable scholars to undertake research in which they are engaged in their home institution and to help them to establish academic and research contacts. The scholarships are financially supported by the Coimbra Group member universities participating in this programme, while the Coimbra Group Office is in charge of the administrative management of the applications.
When is the application deadline?
31st March 2019
Is the scholarship/opportunity offered annually?
Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
All African countries except Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, and Tunisia (applicants from these countries are eligible under the Scholarship Programme for Young Researchers from the European Neighbourhood).
To be taken at (Country)
The following Coimbra Group universities are participating in the 2019 edition of the scheme:
- University of Barcelona (Spain)
- University of Coimbra (Portugal)
- University of Cologne (Germany)
- University of Granada (Spain)
- University of Graz (Austria)
- University of Groningen (The Netherlands)
- KU Leuven (Belgium)
- University of Padova (Italy)
- University of Pavia (Italy)
- University of Poitiers (France)
- University of Salamanca (Spain)
- University of Siena (Italy)
What is the category of this opportunity?
Research, Short course
How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
Applicants should be:
- born on or after 1 January 1974
- nationals of and current residents in a country in Sub-Saharan Africa
- current staff members of a university or an equivalent higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa
- of doctoral/postdoctoral or equivalent status although some universities offer grants for Master’s level students (please see details in the table in the Link below).
Female candidates are encouraged to apply and will be prioritised.
How are selections made?
The administrative check of applications will be undertaken by the Coimbra Group Office in order to select candidates who meet the eligibility criteria. The selection of candidates will be undertaken by the host universities. When selection has been agreed upon, the host university may send a letter of invitation directly to the successful candidate. The Coimbra Group Office will contact all candidates and inform them about the result of their application. Successful candidates currently employed by a University are responsible for ensuring that their home institution will grant them leave of absence to undertake the proposed visit.
How many scholarship awards are available?
What are the benefits of the award?
Successful candidates will have access to excellent academic knowledge in quality facilities. The scholarships include financial support for tuition, living costs, airfares etc.
What is the duration of the program?
From 1 to maximum 3 months. The dates of candidate’s stay should be agreed upon between the candidate and the academic supervisor at the Coimbra Group University. Typically this will be during the academic year 2019/2020.
How to Apply for the Programme:
It is important to go through the Application instructions on the Program Webpage (see Link below) before applying