About the Bastiat Journalism Prize For Journalists, Bloggers And Writers Worth $16,000
Applications are being invited for the 2016 Bastiat Journalism Prize For Journalists, Bloggers And Writers Worth $16,000. Journalists, bloggers and writers are invited to enter their work in the 2016 Bastiat Prize for Journalism.
The Bastiat Prize for Journalism is given to writers around the globe who educate readers by employing simple, eloquent and witty explanations of complex economic ideas, combined with a clear understanding of markets and their underlying institutions. Entries are judged on their originality, wit and elegance, and pertinence to current events.
31st July, 2016
Eligibility Criteria and Requirements
- The Bastiat Prize for Journalism (“BPJ”) is open to all writers, anywhere in the world; writers need not be full time journalists or associated with any specific publication.
- Entrants must submit their entries through the online entry form on Reason’s website.
- All articles entered for the BPJ must have been published in print or online (or both).
- Articles may comprise or include the transcript of a radio or television broadcast if that transcript has been published in print or online.
- In the case of a question about the legitimacy of an article, the author will be consulted and a final decision will be made by Reason Foundation.
- Entries must comprise between one and three articles.
- Entries must not exceed 5,000 words in total.
- Articles must have been published in English.
- Articles must have been published for the first time between June 30, 2015 and July 31, 2016.
- Entries must state clearly the name of the publication where each article appeared and the date each article was published.
- Consideration will be given to the articles on the following criteria: intellectual coherence; persuasiveness; wit and creativity; relevance; clarity and simplicity; wider impact.
- Authors must nominate themselves, although submissions may be made by an assistant on the author’s behalf with his/her consent.
- If some or all articles are available to view online, entrants are encouraged to provide a URL for the articles.
- In all cases, an electronic copy of each article (in either .txt, .rtf, or .pdf format) must be uploaded through the submission form. If you encounter problems with the form, then these should be emailed to email@example.com.
- The finalists’ articles will be sent to the judges, a list of which will be made available on Reason’s website.
- The decision of the judges and Reason Foundation will be final.
- Finalists will be invited to a prize dinner in New York City on November 16, 2016. (While attendance is encouraged, it is not obligatory to receive the prize.)
- The following individuals and their immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children), significant others, and household members are not eligible to enter the Bastiat Prize for Journalism: First Prize winners of the Bastiat Prize of Journalism from the past three years; Directors, staff, and regular columnists of Reason Foundation; current Judges of the Bastiat Prize.
- Articles commissioned, edited and/or placed by Reason Foundation are not eligible for the BPJ.
- Articles published exclusively by Reason Foundation are not eligible for the BPJ.
Value of Contest for 3 Awardees
The winner will receive $10,000, Second Place will receive $5,000 and Third Place will receive $1,000.
Duration of Contest
The Annual Bastiat Prize will be announced and presented as part of the Reason Media Awards Dinner on November 16, 2016, at the Edison Ballroom in New York City.
How to Apply
Completely fill the Entry Form here