Applications are currently ongoing for the Australian Government Research Training Programme (RTP) Scholarships for International Students. Interested students should see the details below.
Australian Government RTP Scholarship Details and FAQs
- Australian Government RTP Scholarship Details and FAQs
- When is the application deadline?
- Is the scholarship/opportunity offered annually?
- Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
- In which host country will the awardees be studying?
- What is the category of this opportunity?
- How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
- What are the benefits of the award?
- What is the duration of the award?
- How to Apply for the Australian Government RTP Scholarships
The Research Training Program (RTP) scheme is administered by individual universities on behalf of the Department of Education and Training. Applications for RTP Scholarships need to be made directly to participating universities. Each university has its own application and selection process, please contact your chosen university directly to discuss how to apply for the RTP scheme.
Information on commencing a postgraduate research degree and university courses can be found on the Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching website. General information about the support arrangements for students may be obtained from the Study Assist website. Frequently asked questions for students are also available to answer student queries.
The objectives of the RTP scheme are to:
- provide flexible funding arrangements to support the training of domestic students and overseas students undertaking HDRs at Australian HEPs
- deliver graduates with the skills required to build careers in academia and other sectors of the labour market
- support collaboration between HEPs and industry and other research end-users
- support overseas students undertaking HDR studies at Australian HEPs.
On 31 December 2016, the International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) ceased and was replaced by the Research Training Program (RTP) from 1 January 2017. The RTP provides block grants, on a calendar year basis, to higher education providers (HEPs) to support both domestic and overseas students undertaking Research Doctorate and Research Masters degrees, known as higher degrees by research (HDRs).
When is the application deadline?
Varying by universities (usually May-October)
Is the scholarship/opportunity offered annually?
Yes, it is
Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
Australia and International students
In which host country will the awardees be studying?
What is the category of this opportunity?
Masters (by research), PhD (research) scholarships
How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
- RTP scholarships are available to domestic and overseas students enrolled in an accredited HDR course at an Australian HEP.
- Other eligibilities to be decided by participating universities.
What are the benefits of the award?
Students can be offered RTP scholarships for one or more of the following:
- tuition fees offset
- stipend for general living costs
- allowances related to the ancillary cost of research degrees.
What is the duration of the award?
Two (2) years for a research masters degree and Three (3) years for a research doctorate degree.
How to Apply for the Australian Government RTP Scholarships
Applications for an RTP need to be made directly to participating universities. The department does not provide an application form. Contact details for participating universities and general information about courses offered in Australia may be obtained here.