Applications are currently ongoing for the 2018 Women Techmakers Scholarship Programme for African Women. Interested students should see the details below.
Google Inc. is an American multinational technology company that specializes in Internet-related services and products. These include online advertising technologies, search, cloud computing, software, and hardware. Google was founded in 1998 by Larry Page and Sergey Brin while they were Ph.D. students at Stanford University, in California. Together, they own about 14 percent of its shares, and control 56 percent of the stockholder voting power through supervoting stock. They incorporated Google as a privately held company on September 4, 1998.
An initial public offering (IPO) took place on August 19, 2004, and Google moved to its new headquarters in Mountain View, California, nicknamed the Googleplex. In August 2015, Google announced plans to reorganize its various interests as a conglomerate called Alphabet Inc. Google, Alphabet’s leading subsidiary, will continue to be the umbrella company for Alphabet’s Internet interests. Upon completion of the restructure, Sundar Pichai was appointed CEO of Google; he replaced Larry Page, who became CEO of Alphabet.
With the help of Google, this scholarship was created to promote gender equality in the field of computer science by promoting and encouraging women to excel in computing and technology and become active leaders and role models in the field.
Application Deadline: 1st December 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Women from Europe, the Middle East and Africa
To be taken at: Universities in Europe, the Middle East and Africa
Eligible Subject Areas: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Informatics or a closely related technical ﬁeld
Type: Bachelors, Masters, PhD
Eligibility: To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must:
- be a Female
- currently be enrolled at a university for the 2016-2017 academic year.
- Intend to be enrolled in or accepted as a full-time student in a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD program at a university in Europe, the Middle East or Africa for the 2017-2018 academic year.
- have good academic backgrounds.
- be fluent in English language.
- Postgraduate applicants must have completed their bachelors degree program in any recognized university in Europe, Middle East and Africa.
Number Of Scholarships: Not specified
Value Of Scholarship:
- The scholarship recipients will each receive a €7,000 (or equivalent) scholarship.
- A retreat opportunity to connect with fellow scholars and Google mentors, while participating in professional and personal development trainings and workshops.
- An online network with fellow scholars program participants designed to share resources, support the global community of women in tech and collaborate on projects to make continued impact.
How To Apply: Female applicants who are interested and eligible for this scholarship programme should complete the Online application form.
The following documents are required for application:
- General background information (includes contact information and information about your current and intended institutions).
- Current resume.
- Responses to four essay questions.
- One letter of reference from a professor, instructor, adviser or supervisor.
- Academic transcripts from your current and prior institutions (if you have earned a prior degree).