AFRIKA KOMMT Fellowship Invitation: Applications are currently ongoing for the AFRIKA KOMMT! Fellowship Program for Young African Leaders (fully-funded Internship Program in Germany). Interested students can see the details and apply if eligible.
AFRIKA KOMMT! Fellowship Program Details and FAQs
- AFRIKA KOMMT! Fellowship Program Details and FAQs
- When is the application deadline?
- Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
- In which host country will the awardees be studying?
- What is the category of this opportunity?
- How do I know if I’m eligible for the fellowship?
- What are the selection criteria?
- What are the benefits of the award?
- How to Apply for the AFRIKA KOMMT Fellowship
Nineteen of Germany’s leading businesses have committed themselves to a common cause. In 2008, they launched the AFRIKA KOMMT! initiative for economic and capacity development. The programme trains young, future managers from Sub-Saharan Africa on-site with German companies. The main idea behind the initiative is to create a win-win-situation for the programme participants and the partnering companies. Thus, the initiative lays the foundation stone for sustainable economic cooperation with Africa and aims at forming stable cooperative partnerships for the future.
The AFRIKA KOMMT! fellowship programme aims at highly qualified, self-driven young professionals and junior executives from Sub-Saharan Africa with several years of hands-on work experience, strong leadership qualities and a very high level of commitment and dedication.
When is the application deadline?
11th January 2019
Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
Sub-Saharan African countries
In which host country will the awardees be studying?
Germany, Candidate’s home country
What is the category of this opportunity?
Internship, Career Fellowship
How do I know if I’m eligible for the fellowship?
Candidates need to fulfil the following formal eligibility requirements:
- University degree in a relevant subject (please see individual company profiles below)
- Postgraduate degree (e.g. MBA) is an advantage
- Two to five years of relevant work experience
- Excellent English language skills
- Basic knowledge of the German language is an advantage
- Not older than 35 years and physically fit
- Female candidates are welcome
What are the selection criteria?
Besides the specific technical expertise relevant to the partner company, the programme requires candidates to have the following set of general skills and attributes:
Language and communication skills:
Excellent English skills
Strong oral and written communication skills
High willingness to learn German
High leadership potential
Strong self-motivation and self-starter mentality
High level of dedication, commitment and target-orientation
Strong capacity for teamwork
High level of enthusiasm, flexibility and resilience
Outstanding intercultural competencies
Ability to adapt to new environments quickly
What are the benefits of the award?
At the heart of the AFRIKA KOMMT! fellowship programme is an eight-months practical training in a leading German enterprise benefiting both, fellows and partner companies – a classic win-win situation:
The programme fellows benefit through:
- gaining first-hand practical experience in a leading German enterprise
- being exposed to leadership concepts and management techniques in practice
- becoming acquainted with working processes and business culture in German enterprises
- extending their international management competencies
- initiating networks of cooperation partners between Sub-Saharan Africa and German companies
The partner companies benefit through:
- establishing networks of cooperation and trust in promising future markets in Sub-Saharan Africa
- extending their experience with the working and business culture in Sub-Saharan Africa
- improving their knowledge about cultures, markets, countries etc. in Sub-Saharan Africa
The AFRIKA KOMMT! fellowship programme also includes: Language course, Travelling expenses (Flights, Visa, local travels etc), Monthly living allowances, Accommodation, Insurance, Trainings and Study tours, Alumni activities, Certificate
After five completed programme years, a significant number of the participants now work in the branch office of their respective partner company in Africa.
How to Apply for the AFRIKA KOMMT Fellowship
Applications can only be submitted through the online application system.
Please read the application requirements carefully. You will find all necessary information in the application guide: AFRIKA KOMMT! 2019 – 2021