Applications are currently ongoing for the Next Einstein Forum Challenge of Invention to Innovation (Ci2i) for Young African scientists and innovators. Interested students should see the details below.
Scholarship Details and FAQs
- Scholarship Details and FAQs
- When is the application deadline?
- Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
- In which host country will I be studying?
- What is the award about?
- Fields of Submission
- What is the category of this opportunity?
- How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
- What are the selection criteria?
- How many scholarship awards are available?
- What are the benefits of the award?
- Duration of Program
- How to Apply for the Programme
The Next Einstein Forum invites young African scientists and innovators to present their research driven innovations in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) to a panel of experts during the second Global Gathering in Rwanda (26-28 March 2018).
When is the application deadline?
12th February 2018.
Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
In which host country will I be studying?
What is the award about?
On 26-28 March 2018, the Next Einstein Forum will host its second Global Gathering in Kigali, Rwanda. A critical component of the NEF is its unique innovation competition, the Challenge of Invention to Innovation (Ci2i). Young African scientists and innovators under 42 years of age are invited to present their research driven innovations in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) to a panel of experts in a pitch style competition.
The NEF Ci2i focuses on innovations of high impact globally and locally that a ready to be scaled up. Judges and participants come from major pan-African and global business, pharmaceutical and technological companies providing an unparalleled opportunity for researchers and entrepreneurs, both in terms of feedback and mentorship and in terms of funding to scale and expand R&D efforts.
African researchers and entrepreneurs may submit solutions in the categories Climate Smart Innovations (Energy, Agriculture, Circular Economy etc.); Deep-tech Innovations; Personalized Health Innovations;
Fields of Submission
Candidates will be invited to submit presentations under three main categories:
- Climate Smart Innovations (Energy, Agriculture, Circular Economy etc.)
- Deep-tech Innovations (Data driven innovation, Autonomous Systems, AI, Machine Learning, Digital Innovation, Fintech etc.)
- Personalized Health Innovations
The list above is not exhaustive, we invite all great innovators to apply. The NEF team will select the top 5 innovations to present at the NEF Global Gathering 2018.
What is the category of this opportunity?
How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
Participation in the competition is open to Africans of all nationalities under 42 years of age. In the case that teams are led by a non-African, one of the co-founders or chief executives must be African.
What are the selection criteria?
During the first round of the competition, the jury will use score sheets to choose the top 2 presenters. The score sheets will assess the following criteria on a scale of 1 to 10:
- Clarity of the presentation
- Originality, novelty or innovativeness of the work or idea being presented
- Potential for or evidence of impact and application of the presented work or idea to human needs
- Scalability including business plan
In the second round, the winner will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Potential Impact
In case of a tie, the jury will decide the victor through a quick vote.
How many scholarship awards are available?
What are the benefits of the award?
The monetary prizes for Ci2i winners and runner ups will be announcing during the unveiling of the selected Top 15 innovators to pitch at the NEF Ci2i. In addition to a monetary prize, winners will get significant media exposure and benefit from the NEF’s global network to further scale up funding and connect with partners and collaborators.
Duration of Program
26-28 March 2018
How to Apply for the Programme
- If you have a brilliant idea/invention that you believe will have a high impact in Africa and globally or are already running a start-up and need funds to scale up, we invite you to apply.
- You can download the application form here.
- The deadline for submission of applications is 12 February 2018.
- The Top 15 will be announced 1 March 2018.