Applications are currently ongoing for the International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) Postgraduate Diploma Scholarship for Students from Developing Countries. Interested students should see the details below.
Scholarship Details and FAQs
- Scholarship Details and FAQs
- When is the application deadline?
- Is the scholarship/opportunity offered annually?
- Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
- What is the award about?
- What is the category of this opportunity?
- How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
- What are the selection criteria?
- How many scholarship awards are available?
- What are the benefits of the award?
- How to Apply for the Programme
Supporting its mission to promote advanced scientific research in developing countries, ICTP offers a Postgraduate Diploma Programme that prepares talented students for PhD studies. Applications are now being accepted for the 2018-2019 academic year!
When is the application deadline?
31st January 2018.
Is the scholarship/opportunity offered annually?
Which countries are eligible for the scholarship?
What is the award about?
The Postgraduate Diploma Programme started in 1991, and since then, many of its graduates have gone on to do PhDs at various prestigious universities, including in Europe and North America. Many of them, after a few postdoctoral stints abroad, have returned to their home countries, where they are actively involved in teaching and in developing advanced research groups there. Others have pursued scientific careers in leading scientific institutions worldwide. Many former students continue to maintain an active collaboration with ICTP throughout their careers.
This one-year pre-PhD programme consists of two semesters of basic and advanced courses given by experts in the following fields:
- High Energy, Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics (HECAP)
- Condensed Matter Physics (CMP)
- Earth System Physics (ESP)
- Mathematics (MTH)
After the completion of the courses (including examinations), participants are required to work on a dissertation, to be submitted and defended.
What is the category of this opportunity?
How do I know if I’m eligible for the scholarship?
- The Programme is open to young qualified graduates in physics, mathematics or related fields.
- Scholarships are awarded to successful candidates from developing countries (with particular emphasis on students from the least developed regions of the world).
What are the selection criteria?
The selection of the candidates is based on their university performance as well as on academic recommendations. The selection committee aims to select the best academically qualified candidates while striving for gender balance and geographical distribution.
How many scholarship awards are available?
A limited number of scholarships (around 10 per field) will be awarded to successful candidates.
What are the benefits of the award?
Scholarships will be used to cover candidate’s travel and living expenses during their stay at ICTP.