Applications are currently ongoing for the 2017/2018 Austrian Government Undergraduate, Masters and PhD Scholarships. Interested international students should see the details below.
Applications are accepted for the Scholarship Foundation of the Republic of Austria for grants and research promotion for Undergraduate, Masters & PhD students. Scholarships are also awarded for research periods at scientific research institutions in Austria (e.g. universities, Austrian Academy of Sciences, National Library, National Archive).
Foundation of the Republic of Austria is offering scholarships for international students (except Austrians). Applicants who are descendants of forced laborers (regardless of their country of origin) or people coming from countries that have suffered exceptionally from the Nazi regime, especially from the recruitment of forced laborers. Scholarships are awarded to pursue research on their diploma or master thesis or their dissertation at scientific research institutions in Austria.
1st September 2017
All (except Austria)
Natural Sciences, Technical Sciences, Human Medicine, Health Sciences, Agricultural Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, Arts
Eligible for application are
- descendents of forced labourers (regardless of their country of origin)
- or people coming from countries that have suffered exceptionally from the Nazi regime, especially from the recruitment of forced labourers.
Students meeting the above mentioned criteria can apply to pursue research
- on their bachelor thesis
- on their diploma or master thesis
- or their dissertation.
No scholarships are awarded for Bachelor, Master or Doctoral/PhD studies pursued in Austria, summer courses, language courses, clinical traineeships or internships. The scholarship grant is for research.
Applicants must not have studied/pursued research/pursued academic work in Austria in the last six months before taking up the grant.
Doctoral students: 40 years (born on or after March 1, 1977)
for other students: 35 years (born on or after March 1, 1982)
Scholarship Benefits and Value
- Monthly scholarship installment: 1050 EUR
- Accident and health insurance: if necessary, the OeAD (Austrian Agency for International Cooperation in Education and Research) will effect an accident and health insurance. The costs for the insurance have to be covered from the scholarship.
- The OeAD provides scholarship holders with accommodation (student dormitory or apartment). Monthly costs: 220 to 470 EUR (depending on the level of comfort requested by the scholarship holder). The scholarship holder has to pay an administrative fee of 18 EUR/month to the OeAD for the provision of accommodation. The costs for the accommodation have to be covered from the scholarship.
- Applicants from countries which are neither members of the EU nor members of EFTA, EEA or OECD can be granted a travel allowance. The lump sum depends on the country of origin.
How to Apply
The following documents have to be uploaded for the Online Application on www.scholarships.at/:
- fully completed Online Application form “Application for a Scholarship of the Scholarship Foundation of the Republic of Austria” including a CV and a project plan, describing the plans and completed preparatory work for the research stay in Austria
- two letters of recommendation from university lecturers. For these letters of recommendation no specific form is required; they have to contain the letterhead, date and signature of the person recommending the applicant and the stamp of the university / department and must be no older than six months at the time of application
- confirmation of supervision by a supervisor at the chosen Austrian university, university of applied sciences or research institution
- scanned passport (showing the name and picture of the applicant)
- university graduation certificate of your diploma, master, PhD or doctoral studies at a university outside Austria resp. proof of enrollment at a study programme at a university outside Austria
- confirmation, that proves your participation in a study programme (Bachelor, Master/Diploma or PhD) at your home university
- for descendants of forced labourers: processing number or photocopy of the letter of information or other relevant proofs