About 2017 Youth Ag-Summit Essay Competition to attend the Ag-Summit
January 13, 2017, 11:59 pm (GMT)
Essay Objectives and Use
Applicants are invited to submit an essay to allow the selection of the best candidates for each participating country.
The primary purpose of the essay is to allow the applicant to develop his or her ideas, and to demonstrate their ability to communicate a clear and logical plan that can deliver results. This will allow the selection committee to select the applicants they feel can bring the most to the meeting.
The secondary purpose of the essay will be to provide a starting set of documents that can be used in the conference. Depending on the balance of the winning essays, the conference program will be adapted to meet the interests of the delegates. Some of the best ideas will be highlighted during the conference to stimulate discussion.
Applicants are asked to build their ideas based on their own experience, country and region. This will increase the chance of delivering and defined actionable outcomes.
In the next 40 years, it is projected that the world population will grow from 7 to almost 10 billion. However, 1 billion people today still do not have enough safe and nutritious food to eat. Demand is rising while resources are dwindling. Solutions are strongly debated across rural, urban and international communities.
In September 2015, the world’s leaders came together to agree on the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all.
In the context of “Feeding a hungry planet” and using your own village, town, city or country as your point of reference, tell us on which SDGs youth can have the most impact in the next one to five years, both at a local and global level.
You should explain how working on these SDGs youth can bring real change to agricultural or food chain practices, or personal and community behaviors, that could help feed 10 billion and create a more sustainable local and global society.
- As of October 8, 2017, participants must be a legal adult in the participant’s home county (for which the participant holds a passport or permanent residency) and not younger than 18 or over 25 years of age.
- Legally able to travel internationally.
- Holding a valid passport, with at least six months validity after October 7, 2017. Participant is solely responsible for obtaining any and all necessary travel documents to travel to and from his or her home country. Please note: Should you not hold a passport when applying to the YAS, use any other document number in the application field. However, kindly be aware that you need to acquire a passport should you be selected for the YAS. Otherwise, you will not be able to travel.
- Proficient level of English/able to communicate orally in English
- Comfortable with cultural diversity
- Have strong leadership qualities
- Some public speaking skills would be an asset
- Have a demonstrated passion for agriculture, environmental stewardship, food, world hunger, biotechnology, and/or farming and/or animal husbandry
- NOT an employee of a Bayer entity or direct family member (e.g. spouse, son or daughter) or live in the same household of a Bayer employee, consultant or Essay Selection Committee member.
- NOT a previous delegate to the 2013 or 2015 YAS.
- Participant is responsible for compliance with all applicable laws in your jurisdiction for participation in the 2017 YAS, including any and all laws with respect to obtaining a valid passport, visa or other government-required document or permission to attend the 2017 YAS.
- Essay must be solely the work of the entrant. Plagiarism will result in disqualification. Essays must not infringe on any third-party rights or intellectual property of any person, company or organization.
- Bayer and (PARTNER) as sponsor reserve the rights to terminate, modify or suspend this essay submit due to any cause.
How to Apply
If you are between 18 and 25 years old and interested to apply for the Youth Ag-Summit 2017, then click on the menu element “Essay Contest” above. Here you complete your application in three easy steps.
Step 1: Register for the contest
Step 2: Complete your personal details
Step 3: Write your essay & submit your application.
Essays must be completed online using the essay submission tool found at www.youthagsummit.com. In the case of difficulty in completing the online form, please contact email@example.com. We will be happy to assist you!
For more information, click here to visit official webpage>>