About 2017 LAUNCH Food Challenge for Innovative Health Entrepreneurs
Application is currently ongoing for the 2017 LAUNCH Food Challenge for Innovative Health Entrepreneurs.
LAUNCH Food is a global call for innovators, entrepreneurs, or intrapreneurs with big ideas for improving health outcomes by enabling people to make healthy food choices.
LAUNCH is looking for a balanced portfolio of innovations (game-changing early stage prototypes) and solutions (post-pilot solutions with the potential to scale within 2 years) that address supply, demand, or both, but offer impact at the level of an individual’s personal consumption. We are open to solutions that address any point in an individual’s life journey, from birth on.
LAUNCH is particularly motivated to support solutions that:
- Promote inclusion, gender equality, and women’s empowerment
- Are appropriate at the local level with the potential to scale regionally or globally
- Offer the potential to impact impoverished, disenfranchised and other vulnerable populations in developing markets, even if this was not the original purpose of the innovation
- Plan for a changing world (increasing occurrence and severity of natural disasters, water availability, population growth and changing population demographics, increased pressures on protein demand, increased need for food storage, increased need for sustainable fertilisers, need for improved price resilience, need for reduced food loss, changing funding landscape, increasing urbanisation, growing inequity, among others)
- Show a solid understanding of what comprises ‘good’ nutrition (bioavailable, nutrient rich, diverse diet, breast feeding, etc.) per FAO/WHO guidelines
- Improve the variety of food on the plate
- Acknowledge that eating is fundamentally a human experience, at turns social, nurturing, cultural, and necessary for survival
- Are mindful of the end consumer
- Shift the drivers and incentives that promote current poor health outcomes
- Promote the evolution of existing markets, or the development/expansion of new markets
December 7, 2016
Value of Award
Selected innovators will have the opportunity to present their innovation to members of the LAUNCH network at the LAUNCH Food Forum, to be held in March 2017. The Forum is a facilitated multi-day event connecting innovators with investment partners, market leaders, and technical experts as well as philanthropic, NGO, and public sector actors committed to accelerating the adoption and scale of solutions.
LAUNCH Food innovators will be mentored by the LAUNCH Food network to scale their technical capabilities and increase the impact of their innovations. This will include one-on-one mentorship, access to market partners, and facilitated opportunities for investment with LAUNCH partners and others.
While this LAUNCH cycle does not offer a cash prize, the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s innovationXchange has allocated up to AUD $5 million to seed and scale some innovations sourced through LAUNCH Food.
Specifically, innovators will receive:
An all-expenses-paid trip to attend the LAUNCH Forum in March 2017 for one member of your team (venue to be confirmed).
Assistance with articulating a compelling narrative and growth strategy to create a concise, high-impact presentation, which will be streamed live during the Forum and recorded for future use.
Ongoing acceleration support, leveraging the LAUNCH network to unlock opportunities.
Public recognition from LAUNCH and its partner organisations.
Media and public relations training and exposure, including a professional video of your innovation story, which will be featured on LAUNCH.org.
Continued engagement with, and access to, the LAUNCH network beyond this challenge cycle.
No cash prize will be awarded.
The challenge is open for anyone to apply. Responses from academics, companies (small or large), entrepreneurs, inventors, non profit organisations, research institutions, national laboratories, government agencies, social enterprises and funders are welcome. Cross-discipline and cross-geography teams are highly encouraged to apply. ‘Innovations’ may be at the stage of functional prototype up to market-ready solutions. Applicants ready to be supported by industry partners or ready to scale will receive the most benefit from the LAUNCH experience.
Applications will be evaluated on:
- Potential for improving health outcomes
- Technical feasibility and practicality of use
- Pathway to scale
- Sustainability of the innovation/solution
- Evidence of potential for application in lower-income and underserved communities and/or developing markets and countries
- Strength of project team and leadership
- Does your innovation deliver a triple bottom line: increasing producer incomes, improving nutrition and sustaining the environment?
- Is your innovation capable of speaking to the illiterate, the poor, those with no schooling, and helping them make healthy choices?
For more information, click here to visit official webpage>>