About 2017 European Commission Paid Traineeship for University Graduates
Application is currently ongoing for the 2017 European Commission Paid Traineeship for University Graduates.
A traineeship at the European Commission is much more than just a professional experience. Each batch of trainees organises a huge range of non-formal learning, social activities, from football to wine-tasting and much in between – in true bureaucratic fashion, each with its own organising committee. There are usually 40-50 of such activities to choose from.
The main social committee is the Trainees’ Committee, which organises parties and social events in Brussels and Luxembourg. Among the most popular events are the Job Fair, which is meant to help you work out your next steps in your professional life, and the prestigious Euroball.
PRESELECTION/eligibility: October-November 2016
Sending of offers: start in January 2017
APPLICATIONS: 4/01/2017 (12:00 noon, Brussels time) – 31/01/2017 (12:00 noon, Brussels time)
What is in it for you?
- A paid traineeship of 5 months with the European Commission (or some executive bodies and agencies of the European Institutions like, for instance, the European External Action Service or Executive Agency for Competitiveness and Innovation), starting on either 1st March or 1st October.
- You will receive a monthly grant of 1,159.40 € as of 1st March 2017 and reimbursement of travel expenses. Accident and health insurance can also be provided.
- Every year, there are about 1,300 places available.
- If you are one of the selected candidates you get hands-on experience in an international and multicultural environment. This can be an important enrichment for your further career.
The traineeship programme is open to university graduates, from all over the world who have a:
- Degree of at least 3 years of study (minimum a Bachelor);
- Very good knowledge of English or French or German (C1/C2 level in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages);
- Very good knowledge of a second EU official language (required for nationals of EU countries).
You must have completed at least 3-years of study with a degree to apply for a Blue Book traineeship. Only if you have a certificate or an official confirmation from your university that you have at least a 3-year degree will you be eligible to apply.
You can apply once per session but as many times as you want until you are finally selected. If you do not pass the pre-selection, or you are in the Blue Book but not selected for a traineeship, you will have to submit again your application. It will undergo again the pre-selection with no guarantee that you will successfully pass it and be in the Blue Book again.
Article 2.2.2 of the rules governing the official traineeships scheme of the European Commission must be interpreted as excluding the mother tongue/s, which is/are not assessed with points in the first phase of the pre-selection exercise. Points are awarded on the basis of merits.
Therefore, if English, French or German is your mother tongue (also as a non-EU citizen), you must have a very good and certified knowledge of at least one of the other two working/procedural languages of the Commission.
If you are not an English, French or German native speaker as an EU citizen, then you need to have a very good knowledge of English, French or German in addition to your mother tongue.
The level of linguistic knowledge must qualify as “very good knowledge”, be accompanied by duly certified proof and correspond to a C1/C2 level in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
If you apply for translation traineeships (in the Translation Directorate General) you must be able to translate into your main language (normally your native language) from 2 other official EU languages (source languages):
- Your main language must be one of the official EU languages.
- Your 1st source language must be English, French or German.
- Your 2nd source language can be any of the official EU languages.
For more information, click here to visit the official website>>