About 2016/2017 MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at McGill University in Canada
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program provides academically talented young leaders from low-income backgrounds with access to a world-class university education. In all, The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at McGill will welcome 91 Scholars from Sub-Saharan Africa, including 24 at the Master’s level. Unique to McGill, some Scholars are from French-speaking countries and will receive intensive English language training before starting their degree programs.
A central goal of The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is to create a globally educated and highly qualified group of future leaders, who, upon graduation, can return to Africa to help foster the region’s development. Toward these ends, McGill complements the Scholars’ education with a comprehensive support system that includes mentorship, tailored support services, community service opportunities and sustained programming relevant to their personal development. Scholars also receive guidance and funding for two internships in their home countries during their studies. The internships aim to sustain the Scholars’ connection with their home countries and build a path toward meaningful employment post-graduation.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at McGill is coordinated through the Office of the Dean of Students with support from the Office of the Deputy-Provost (Student Life and Learning).
December 10th, 2016
- You must qualify academically for admission to McGill University. Please note that admission is competitive; see Admissions Guide.
- You must be a first-time applicant to university (transfer applicants are not eligible).
- You must be a resident and citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country. French-speaking applicants are welcome; see List of Eligible Countries
- You must have an exceptional record of service and activity in your school and/or community.
- You must have the potential for meaningful future service to your community as a leader engaged in dynamic local and global social change.
- Your financial status must be in the lowest two quintiles of your country.
- You must demonstrate an exceptional record of service and leadership in your school and/or your community. This may include organizing youth programs, assuming leadership roles in school activities, participating in clubs and teams, taking on responsibilities at home, advocacy and/or volunteering in your community.
- You must be committed to returning to Africa after graduation to continue to give back to your community and country.
- You must be from a low-income background. Your financial status will be verified
How to Apply
To apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, you must submit an online application for admission to McGill University. The online application can be found at http://www.mcgill.ca/applying/apply
Because undergraduate applicants to The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program do not have to pay the $103.12 application fee, you must follow a special application procedure. You will find detailed instructions on this special procedure, and complete information about applying to McGill as a MasterCard Foundation Scholar, in The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program Application Form ( pdf).
For more information, click here to visit official webpage>>