Being a Gates Cambridge Scholar at the University of Cambridge
- Being a Gates Cambridge Scholar at the University of Cambridge
- About the 2016 Gates Cambridge Scholarships (Masters & PhD) in UK:
- Criteria for Eligibility:
- Fields of Study:
- Number of Scholarships:
- Eligible Countries/Target Groups:
- Value of Scholarship/Inclusions:
- Application Procedure/Instructions:
- Deadline for Application
- Official Scholarship Website:
Being a Gates Cambridge Scholar at the University of Cambridge is stimulating and engaging experience. Alongside your degree you will have numerous opportunities for personal and professional growth and the opportunity to develop an international and diverse network of friends and colleagues. Whether these opportunities present themselves through your department, your College or the Gates Cambridge community you can be sure of a truly vibrant Cambridge experience.
n many ways, communities at Cambridge can be thought of as a Venn diagram – equally important, overlapping networks which offer a rich and diverse Cambridge experience.
The Gates Cambridge community
The Gates Cambridge community in Cambridge is a vibrant, diverse, open and passionate community. It centres around the ideals of the programme: intellectual rigour, leadership and a commitment to improving the lives of others.
It is also a busy community: there are numerous events throughout the year – from orientation for new Scholars to a Graduation Dinner and many activities in between. The Scholars’ Council plays a key role in ensuring the community is vibrant, inclusive and impactful – and regularly communicates with the Trust to ensure the views of the Scholar body are taken into account in the management of the programme.
The Scholars’ Room in the University Centre acts as a physical hub for much of the community’s activities, although activities are also spread across the Collegiate University.
– See more at: https://www.gatescambridge.org/experience/cambridge/communities#sthash.YE0GZqma.dpuf
About the 2016 Gates Cambridge Scholarships (Masters & PhD) in UK:
Applications are currently ongoing for the 2016 Gates Cambridge Scholarships (Masters & PhD) in UK and you are invited to apply for the scholarship.
Gates Cambridge Scholarships are highly competitive full-cost scholarships. They are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. The programme aims to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
Gates Cambridge Trust offers full fee postgraduate (Masters and PhD) Scholarships for outstanding International students to study any course at the University of Cambridge, UK 2016.
The Trust is regulated by the Higher Education Funding Council in England via the University of Cambridge. It has a Board of nine distinguished Trustees (two of whom are appointed by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the remainder by the University) who meet twice a year to decide on the overall strategic direction of the programme. The Provost (CEO) is supported by a Director of Finance and a Programme Director and a small administrative team who manage all operational aspects of the Trust’s activities.
Criteria for Eligibility:
- a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom.
- applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study: PhD (three year research-only degree); MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree); or a one year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
- already a student at Cambridge and want to apply for a new postgraduate course. For example, if you are studying for an MPhil you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to do a PhD. However, if you have already started a course, you cannot apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to fund the rest of it.
- already a Gates Cambridge Scholar and want to apply for a second Scholarship. You must apply by the second, international deadline and go through the same process of departmental ranking, shortlisting and interviewing as all other candidates.
- outstanding intellectual ability
- leadership potential
- a commitment to improving the lives of others
- a good fit between the applicant’s qualifications and aspirations and the postgraduate programme at Cambridge for which they are applying
Fields of Study:
Full-cost Masters and PhD programmes
Scholarship Type: Full-cost Masters and PhD scholarship
Number of Scholarships:
Eligible Countries/Target Groups:
For international students
Value of Scholarship/Inclusions:
Scholarship will cover the full cost of study
- the University Composition Fee and College fees at the appropriate rate*
- a maintenance allowance for a single student
- one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
How to Apply
Standard applications (via the Graduate Admissions Office)
Applicants apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship and admission to their chosen postgraduate course at the University of Cambridge and a Cambridge College via the Graduate Admissions Office, using the GRADSAF form and supporting documents.
It is not possible to apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship without applying to the University of Cambridge. You must apply for admission as a postgraduate student to the University of Cambridge and a Gates Cambridge Scholarship at the same time, using the one application pack.
[If you are applying for admission to the MBA or Master of Finance programme you apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship via the Judge Business School (see below)]
To be considered for postgraduate admission and a Gates Cambridge Scholarship all applicants must submit the following documents to the Graduate Admissions Office by the relevant deadline:-
- GRADSAF application form (which includes a Gates Cambridge section)
- Academic transcripts
- 2 academic references
- 1 personal reference (for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship)
Although not specifically required for the Gates Cambridge application, the Graduate Admissions Office or academic department may require some applicants to submit the following for admission to the University:
- English language test scores (if English is not your first language)
- A research proposal, an example of your written work, a GRE/GMAT score, etc. Not all applicants will be required to submit such documents – you will find details of what you need to submit in the Graduate Studies Prospectus and department website.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure they submit all documents required so they can be considered for both admission and a Gates Cambridge Scholarship.
Applications for the MBA and Master of Finance
For the MBA and MFin programmes you need to apply direct to the Judge Business School, using their on-line application system. You will find all the information you need here.
Duration of Scholarship: For the duration of the programme.
To be taken at (country): Cambridge University UK
Gates Cambridge Scholarships are extremely competitive: over 4,000 applicants apply for 90 Scholarships each year.
Given the intense competition, the Trust has a four stage selection process:
- Departmental ranking – the very best applicants to each department are ranked on academic merit only
- Shortlisting – Gates Cambridge committees review the applications of ranked candidates using all four Gates Cambridge criteria and put forward a list for interview
- Interview – all shortlisted candidates have a short interview to assess how they meet all four Gates Cambridge criteria
- Selection – chairs of interview panels meet to decide the final list of Scholars
- A good fit between the applicant’s qualifications and aspirations and the postgraduate programme at Cambridge for which they are applying
Deadline for Application
Applications for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship for October 2016 entry will open on 1 September 2015. The deadlines are as follows:
- Round 1 (US citizens based in the USA) – 14 October 2015
- Round 2 (all other eligible candidates) – 2 December 2015
Official Scholarship Website:
For more information, visit – https://www.gatescambridge.org/apply/how-apply
Like our Facebook page, Nigerian Scholars to keep getting our updates and you can also subscribe by submitting you email address via the subscribe form below to keep receiving our newsletters that will help you guarantee success in your academic career both in Nigeria and beyond.
It’s our pleasure to keep serving you better.