About the Fully-Funded UNODA Women Scholarship For Peace
Applications are currently being invited for the 2017 Fully-Funded UNODA Women Scholarship For Peace and all interested candidates are invited to apply.
The UN Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA) at Vienna in partnership with 26 organisations is organising virtual and in-person training on Peace for women and is offering these women from the Global South limited scholarships to attend the in-person training to be taken in Cairo, Egypt for African countries; and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia for the Middle East.
The Women Scholarship for Peace: Global South is an initiative coordinated by the UN Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA) at Vienna in partnership with 26 organisations whose work contribute to disarmament, non-proliferation and development-related issues. A total of 140 scholarships are made available to facilitate participation of women from the Global South at the training courses.
- A Women Scholarship for Peace entails financial support for an early career woman from the Global South to take training courses about peace and development-related areas.
- A total of 140 scholarships are available, covering all costs of registration and participation at the training courses.
- Applications now open for: Asia/Pacific, Africa and Middle East (105 scholarships)
31st August, 2016
Early career women from various fields from the Global South (Asia/Pacific, Africa and Middle East). It is not required to have previous knowledge of the issues of disarmament, non-proliferation and development.
Eligible Fields of Study
This on-line and in-person course introduces participants to key conceptual and practical aspects of disarmament, non-proliferation and development-related issues, such as:
- Weapons of mass destruction
- Conventional weapons
- Disarmament and development
- Gender and disarmament
- Peace and development-related technologies
- Induction courses about entities contributing to disarmament, non-proliferation and development, such as the IAEA, CTBTO, OPCW, etc.
What You Need To Follow The Training Courses?
- a computer or mobile device, with audio
- reliable internet connection
- no special software is required
- travel to the in-person location for 5 working days to attend workshops and training sessions
- 22-32 years at the time of application
- Only candidates residing in their country of eligible nationality at the time of application will be considered.
- Nationals of Africa, Asia/Pacific and Middle East countries and territories are eligible
- Candidate must be Female
- The training courses will be conducted in English only.
- A university degree or equivalent qualifications (which could for example be constituted of a degree obtained with minimum 2 years of higher education, combined with relevant professional experience).
All applicants are required to fill in the online application form. Further information will be required at a later stage by the Selection Committee. Priority will be given to nationals from Official Development Assistance recipient countries and territories, as defined by the Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development. Selected participants will be informed at the end of September 2016 and will be requested to confirm their participation within 2 working days.
Number of Awardees
105 for women from Africa, Asia/Pacific and Middle East. 4o out of this number to come from Africa alone.
Duration of Scholarship
The scholarship is for 1 week in-person training. However, the duration for the entire programme is outlined thus:
- 1 month introductory on-line training (about 20 hours)
- 1 week in-person training (about 40 hours)
- 1 month advanced on-line training (about 20 hours)
- Optional: 1 final examination essay to obtain university credits (about 40 hours)
How to Apply
Visit Scholarship Webpage to apply