About All Saints University, School of Medicine, Dominica
Nigerian Scholars wishes to share some information about a very interesting university we stumbled upon recently online. It’s the All Saints University, School of Medicine in Dominica.
All Saints University is committed to providing high quality education leading to a Doctor of Medicine (MD) Degree at very affordable fees. The University strives to produce broadly and thoroughly educate graduates who realize that the medical profession is not simply a trade to be learned but that it denotes a sense of social responsibility.
All About Dominica
All About ‘The Nature Island of the Caribbean‘
Dominica’s population is around 71,727 (2003), of which 20,000 live around the capital city, Roseau (pronounced ‘Ro-zo’), which is located on the south-west coast. English is the official language but a French-based Creole (kwéyòl) is widely spoken, especially in outlying villages.
Visitors should bear in mind that the import and export of fruit, vegetables and flowers is restricted; you will need to obtain a license to take out flowers, for example.
From the lush mountain peaks rising to almost 5,000 ft. to the underwater volcanic craters with dramatic vertical walls, it’s no wonder Dominica will take your breath away at every turn. Dominica is one of the best places in the Caribbean to dive, whale and dolphin watch, hike, bird watch, explore a pristine rainforest, or simply relax.
Dominica is known as the “Nature Island” of the Caribbean. It was also chosen as the location for the filming of the major box office hit movie “Pirates of the Caribbean”. In Dominica, you will experience the world as it was meant to be – unspoiled and with natural wonders found nowhere else in the world. Dominica is a leading dolphin and whale watching hotspot.
If sitting by the beach all day sounds a bit dull, then Dominica is the spot for you. Dominica is a paradise for the outdoor adventurer interested in unspoiled natural attractions. There is so much to do! Dominica’s Morne Trois Pitons National Park was the first UNESCO World Heritage Site in the eastern Caribbean.
Electricity is 220/240 volts, 50 cycles.
Water is safe to drink.
Public Transport is readily available in the form of the ubiquitous mini-bus (look for number plates that begin with ‘H’); the Old Market in Roseau is the ‘terminus’ for busses travelling south; the West Bridge for those travelling north. Fares are set by the government.
The Humble Beginning of All Saints University
4 -YEAR MD PROGRAM
The 4-Year MD program can be completed in 3 years and 4 months. Admission into the 4-year program requires a Bachelor Degree or completion of at least two years of post secondary education, which must include successful completion of premedical admission requirements such as:
- Biology – 90 semester hours
- Chemistry – 90 semester hours
- Physics – 90 semester hours
and one year of Mathematics or Calculus, English and Humanities or Liberal Arts.
The 4-year MD degree program comprises 5 semesters of instruction in Basic Medical Sciences in Dominica followed by 72 weeks of clinical clerkships.
The five year MD program is designed for high school graduates intending to obtain a MD Degree. This program includes 4 semesters of premedical courses, including those listed above. Upon successful completion of 4 semesters of premedical courses, students are automatically allowed to complete the Basic Medical Science (preclinical) portion of the degree program with their counterparts in the 4-Year MD degree program.
All Saints University School of Medicine conducts Bachelor of Medical Science Degree programs with three specialty categories. Students are given the option to choose one of the following specialties.
1. Analytical Chemistry Laboratory
2. Pharmaceutical Technology
3. Laboratory Medicine
ELIGIBLITY FOR B.Sc. (MEDICAL SCIENCES) PROGRAM
– Successful completion of the Premedical program of All Saints University
– Successful completion of the Basic Medical Science Program
– Satisfactory completion of Introduction to Laboratory Medicine and Research
Students from recognized medical schools may be admitted as transfer students upon evaluation of their credentials. The admissions committee of All Saints University School of Medicine will review all candidates’ applications and supporting documents on a case-by-case basis.
See more updates from:
- Study in USA: 2018 Southern New Hampshire University Merit Scholarships - 22 hours ago
- Study in China: 2018 Wuhan University Scholarships for International and Chinese Law - 22 hours ago
- Study in Japan: 2018 Daiohs Memorial Foundation Scholarships at University of Tokyo – Japan - 22 hours ago
- Study in China: 2018 Henan Provincial Government Scholarship (Fully Funded) - 2 days ago
- Study in UK: 2018 African Excellence Scholarships (Full Tuition) at University of Glasgow - 2 days ago
- Study in UK: University Of Strathclyde Scholarship for Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences - 2 days ago
- Learn Web and Android Programming: Google/Udacity Africa Scholarship Program 2018 - 4 days ago